Boomilever B/C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Boomilever B/C

Post by windu34 »

Boomilever B/C: Teams will design and build a Boomilever meeting requirements specified in the rules supporting a minimum load and to achieve the highest structural efficiency.

Boomilever Wiki Wiki

Boomilever Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2013, 2014
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Cow481
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Cow481 »

What would be specified as the loading point, the middle, front, or end of the loading block?
Medals
Invitationals: 9
Regionals: 5
States: 1
Nationals: 1

National Medals
2018: 5th in Towers
2019: Could have gotten top 3 in Boomilevers and Gliders if my team made it :cry:
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

Cow481 wrote:What would be specified as the loading point, the middle, front, or end of the loading block?
The centerline of the chain, as per Section 4, part II, rule e.ii.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

The Boomilever rules are 3 pages long! Crazy.

Also, they tried to eliminate "ultralight" structures that were present in towers last year by tiering anything below 3000g. This seems odd to me though, considering there is no bonus like there was last year. The mathematical advantage of the bonus was a much greater contributor to the presence of "ultralights" than any sort of mechanical advantage, if I understand correctly.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
triangulator
Been thanked: 0

Post by triangulator »

That's correct, but it is also much easier to build a light boomilever than light tower.
Science: It makes the world go round...
Wait, or is that wheels? I can never remember.
:cry: balsa man :cry: he made the little people build...
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Took me a while to process them but I like how it will pan out. My only confusion is how the J-hook will work...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
triangulator

Post by triangulator »

Yeah, it's totally going to mess up my triangular design.
Science: It makes the world go round...
Wait, or is that wheels? I can never remember.
:cry: balsa man :cry: he made the little people build...
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Took me a while to process them but I like how it will pan out. My only confusion is how the J-hook will work...
Check out the 2014 forum discussions on Boomilever. I believe they have found a good way to do this.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
Sciencer101

Post by Sciencer101 »

I saw this design called a "compression beam" on the scioly wiki where it is basically 2 tension sticks attached to a hollow cylinder of balsa wood instead of your standard compression member. The wiki also said that it can be very competitive. I was wondering how you would go about constructing this, and whether or not it would be effective. Working with a drill on a boomilever seems a little... overpowered. Also, what are the estimated competitive weights this ear? For towers the competitive ones were ~ 6-7 g, but it seems like you could make a very light boomilever.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Sciencer101 wrote:I saw this design called a "compression beam" on the scioly wiki where it is basically 2 tension sticks attached to a hollow cylinder of balsa wood instead of your standard compression member. The wiki also said that it can be very competitive. I was wondering how you would go about constructing this, and whether or not it would be effective. Working with a drill on a boomilever seems a little... overpowered. Also, what are the estimated competitive weights this ear? For towers the competitive ones were ~ 6-7 g, but it seems like you could make a very light boomilever.
The cylinder would be made by taking a sheet and rolling it (there's a process involving soaking it in warm water/steam, although I don't know the details). It's quite difficult, both because the construction takes a long time and is very delicate, and it's quite a challenge to find a uniform sheet that's strong enough.

Boomilever scores tend to be lower. As a general rule of thumb, I would take Towers scores from last year and divide them by 2 to get roughly equivalent boomilever scores.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”