Protein Modeling C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Protein Modeling C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Protein Modeling C: Students will use computer visualization and online resources to construct physical models of the CRISPR Cas9 protein that is being engineered to edit plant and animal cell genomes, and answer a series of questions about the chemistry of protein folding and the interaction of structure and function for model proteins.

Protein Modeling Wiki

http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/

Official Protein Modeling Event Facebook Page (many photos of models from nationals are posted here)

Past Threads:
2011 (Pluripotent Stem Cells)
2012 (Apoptosis)
2015 (Human Genome Editing)
2016 (Dopamine and Serotonin Synthesis)

Past Question Marathons: 2015
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
luanne
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by luanne »

Only first day after rules come out and I already have questions.. :roll:
so here they come:
1. In Jmol if I enter "restrict 1-85" I get around 4 distinct backbones. Is this correct?
2. How should I research and find which secondary structures are important to the function of the protein?
and lastly:
3. In jmol I would do the "select structures" and realize that one of the dna strands is also a beta sheet. So when I build my model, should I say that it is dna or a beta sheet?
(If you can't tell I am very lost)
avatar: face on fridays and when electric vehicle caught on fire
assassinator #126
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

luanne wrote:Only first day after rules come out and I already have questions.. :roll:
so here they come:
1. In Jmol if I enter "restrict 1-85" I get around 4 distinct backbones. Is this correct?
2. How should I research and find which secondary structures are important to the function of the protein?
and lastly:
3. In jmol I would do the "select structures" and realize that one of the dna strands is also a beta sheet. So when I build my model, should I say that it is dna or a beta sheet?
1. When I opened it and played around with it, I saw four beta pleated strands and one long alpha helix.
2. The cbm msoe website will upload lots of resources for that part, however, the name of the paper accompanies the PDB file info on RCSB, with that title you could probably search it on the web. If it doesn't grant you access, see if you can log in through your school's library system to get to it.
3. "select structures" is a pretty general command. Most of the time, you would do "select" and then your more specific kind of structure like "helix," "sheet," "dna," "rna," etc. then you can use Boolean operators to select multiple kinds of structures at once. I'm not entirely sure what you did that made it appear that way since the two are biochemically very different. But no, if it does not have amino acid structures, then it cannot be a beta sheet.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Creationist127
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

Do we need to model all four of the strands? If so, how? If not, which one do we need to model? :?:
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
nervoussenior1

Post by nervoussenior1 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
luanne wrote:Only first day after rules come out and I already have questions.. :roll:
so here they come:
and lastly:
1. When I opened it and played around with it, I saw four beta pleated strands and one long alpha helix.
2. The cbm msoe website will upload lots of resources for that part, however, the name of the paper accompanies the PDB file info on RCSB, with that title you could probably search it on the web. If it doesn't grant you access, see if you can log in through your school's library system to get to it.
3. "select structures" is a pretty general command. Most of the time, you would do "select" and then your more specific kind of structure like "helix," "sheet," "dna," "rna," etc. then you can use Boolean operators to select multiple kinds of structures at once. I'm not entirely sure what you did that made it appear that way since the two are biochemically very different. But no, if it does not have amino acid structures, then it cannot be a beta sheet.
Hm When i played around, i got 5 sheets. I think we have to restrict the chain to B (?). They still haven't updated the prebuild link that's on the event description.
luanne

Post by luanne »

nervoussenior1 wrote:
Hm When i played around, i got 5 sheets. I think we have to restrict the chain to B (?). They still haven't updated the prebuild link that's on the event description.
in the rules it just said residue 1-85?
assassinator #126
nervoussenior1

Post by nervoussenior1 »

luanne wrote:
nervoussenior1 wrote:
Like on the rcsb website it says that chain B is the protein and chain A C D are nucleic acids/hybrids. And the description says to model residues 1-85 of the PROTEIN, so I just assumed that we restrict it to B. I may be wrong because it's my first time doing protein modeling.
nervoussenior1

Post by nervoussenior1 »

luanne wrote:
nervoussenior1 wrote:
Like on the rcsb website it says that chain B is the protein and chain A C D are nucleic acids/hybrids. And the description says to model residues 1-85 of the PROTEIN, so I just assumed that we restrict it to B. I may be wrong because it's my first time doing protein modeling.
luanne

Post by luanne »

hmm, I guess we are going to have to wait until msoe uploads their work.. and its my first time too, but I was pretty sure if it was just chain 'b' it would say "Residue 1-85 of chain B"
I could be totally wrong tho :)
assassinator #126
luanne

Post by luanne »

Also, rcsb hasn't updated their science Olympiad page? It is still on influenza from last year.
assassinator #126

Return to “2019 Lab Events”