Roller Coaster B

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Roller Coaster B

Post by windu34 »

Roller Coaster B: Prior to the competition, teams design, build, and test a roller coaster track to guide a ball or sphere that uses gravitational potential energy as its sole means of propulsion to travel as close as possible to a target time.

Roller Coaster Wiki Wiki

Past Threads: 2018
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
vehicleguy
Division: C

Re: Roller Coaster B

Post by vehicleguy »

I'm super hyped for another season of this event. What does everyone think of the dimension and gap changes?
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
builder83
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by builder83 »

vehicleguy wrote:I'm super hyped for another season of this event. What does everyone think of the dimension and gap changes?
Smaller is better/more fun I think for dimensions. Didn't see any real changes to gap rules or scoring at a glance. Really looks like it will be similar strategy as last year except making time worth more. Gota maximize the dimensions!
IvanGe
State: NY

Post by IvanGe »

vehicleguy wrote:I'm super hyped for another season of this event. What does everyone think of the dimension and gap changes?
It looks more like 2 large gaps instead of smaller gaps this year. I'm not doing it this year but what I would probably do is like 2 jumps with 40 cm or more on both and then get the timing perfect between 10-60 s (i think?)
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

I think one of the biggest changes is 3.c. Last year, that rule prohibited tubes/funnels, and there was some discrepancy as to what exactly "enclosed" meant. Now, it's unambiguous - "the ball/sphere must be visible at all times." So, does that mean that transparent plastic tubes and funnels are ok? I wouldn't think the rule writers intended that consequence, but surely it must've come up in discussion.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
builder83

Post by builder83 »

SPP SciO wrote:I think one of the biggest changes is 3.c. Last year, that rule prohibited tubes/funnels, and there was some discrepancy as to what exactly "enclosed" meant. Now, it's unambiguous - "the ball/sphere must be visible at all times." So, does that mean that transparent plastic tubes and funnels are ok? I wouldn't think the rule writers intended that consequence, but surely it must've come up in discussion.
You're right. Big loophole in that new rule. My guess is it will be their first clarification. I might just wait a bit before making a clear tube track. Although even if it were allowed I dont know if the general strategy would change much. Funnels can be cool though!
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

The roller coaster committee did a very nice job of forcing competitors to balance there gap, height, and time scores as opposed to the gap domination from last year.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Any predictions on how much gap the top teams of nats will have? I predict 100cm gap + max height + perfect time, but what do you guys think? A lot of people have told me 100cm is way too high of an estimate.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
builder83

Post by builder83 »

sciolyperson1 wrote:Any predictions on how much gap the top teams of nats will have? I predict 100cm gap + max height + perfect time, but what do you guys think? A lot of people have told me 100cm is way too high of an estimate.
Only a couple teams in the nation managed 100 cm last year with much wider/higher dimensions, and I don't think they could manage much time. I have not tried yet but guessing 70 cm gap would be impressive and decent time. The winner will still probably be one with the most gaps. Height is still useless for nationals but could be good at some states. Happy time plays a more important role.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

builder83 wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:Any predictions on how much gap the top teams of nats will have? I predict 100cm gap + max height + perfect time, but what do you guys think? A lot of people have told me 100cm is way too high of an estimate.
Only a couple teams in the nation managed 100 cm last year with much wider/higher dimensions, and I don't think they could manage much time. I have not tried yet but guessing 70 cm gap would be impressive and decent time. The winner will still probably be one with the most gaps. Height is still useless for nationals but could be good at some states. Happy time plays a more important role.
Last year at nats though alot of teams didn't perform to their best potential. I feel like it would've been way easier to get into the 120s, especially with 80cm? of height (correct me if im wrong)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “Roller Coaster B”