Protein Modeling C

luanne
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by luanne »

Creationist127 wrote:Do we need to model all four of the strands? If so, how? If not, which one do we need to model? :?:
Right now, I'm assuming so. MSOE has great resources how to fold your pre build model and is a great start point :)
here:http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/participant3.php
avatar: face on fridays and when electric vehicle caught on fire
assassinator #126
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

nervoussenior1 wrote:
luanne wrote:
nervoussenior1 wrote:
Hm When i played around, i got 5 sheets. I think we have to restrict the chain to B (?). They still haven't updated the prebuild link that's on the event description.
in the rules it just said residue 1-85?
Like on the rcsb website it says that chain B is the protein and chain A C D are nucleic acids/hybrids. And the description says to model residues 1-85 of the PROTEIN, so I just assumed that we restrict it to B. I may be wrong because it's my first time doing protein modeling.
This would be correct; the required segment of protein should only be one chain.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
nervoussenior1

Post by nervoussenior1 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
nervoussenior1 wrote:
luanne wrote:
in the rules it just said residue 1-85?
Like on the rcsb website it says that chain B is the protein and chain A C D are nucleic acids/hybrids. And the description says to model residues 1-85 of the PROTEIN, so I just assumed that we restrict it to B. I may be wrong because it's my first time doing protein modeling.
This would be correct; the required segment of protein should only be one chain.
Except the problem is that when I restrict to chain B, the chain starts at residue 4 not 1..... so I’m sort of confused. I don’t know enough about JMOL to know why that’s happening :(
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

nervoussenior1 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
nervoussenior1 wrote:
Except the problem is that when I restrict to chain B, the chain starts at residue 4 not 1..... so I’m sort of confused. I don’t know enough about JMOL to know why that’s happening :(

The PDB file is a bit wonky. If you compare the beginning of FASTA sequences found on PDB versus Uniprot you find:

PDB:
>4UN3:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE
GAASMDKKYSIGLDIG..............

Uniprot:
>sp|Q99ZW2|CAS9_STRP1 CRISPR-associated endonuclease
MDKKYSIGLDIGT...............

Is the first residue that is showing up the "K" immediately before the "Y"? That is what is showing up even in PyMol. I am not convinced that the first three residues are included in the PDB file that can be downloaded.
luanne

Post by luanne »

officially confused.
avatar: face on fridays and when electric vehicle caught on fire
assassinator #126
nervoussenior1

Post by nervoussenior1 »

JonB wrote:
nervoussenior1 wrote:
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: This would be correct; the required segment of protein should only be one chain.

The PDB file is a bit wonky. If you compare the beginning of FASTA sequences found on PDB versus Uniprot you find:

PDB:
>4UN3:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE
GAASMDKKYSIGLDIG..............

Uniprot:
>sp|Q99ZW2|CAS9_STRP1 CRISPR-associated endonuclease
MDKKYSIGLDIGT...............

Is the first residue that is showing up the "K" immediately before the "Y"? That is what is showing up even in PyMol. I am not convinced that the first three residues are included in the PDB file that can be downloaded.
Hmm... then would that mean that residue 4 is actually residue 1? I guess we will just have to wait till MSOE updates their website.
platypusomelette
State: NY

Post by platypusomelette »

I've been doing "display 1-85 and not dna" but I still end up with one DNA strand. Has anyone been able to isolate it yet?
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

Does anyone know if we still have to study general protein knowledge for the test? On the rules it just states the test will have questions specific to the onsite protein, CRISPR, and protein folding.
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

freed2003 wrote:Does anyone know if we still have to study general protein knowledge for the test? On the rules it just states the test will have questions specific to the onsite protein, CRISPR, and protein folding.
3.III.b.i does not limit itself to CRISPR Cas9
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Does anyone know if we still have to study general protein knowledge for the test? On the rules it just states the test will have questions specific to the onsite protein, CRISPR, and protein folding.
3.III.b.i does not limit itself to CRISPR Cas9
But it does limit itself to protein folding(specifically the process that drive it) where past test contained more general protein questions(such as "what amino acid contains sulfur?")
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1

Return to “2019 Lab Events”