Interpretation of 3e

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Interpretation of 3e

Post by TheChiScientist »

triangulator wrote:I think i found a loophole.

Since no portion can touch the testing wall, one could attach a piece of wood extending to the floor.

If anyone actually did it, though, the boomilever would probably not qualify as a boomilever, and that length would probably weigh a lot. Also, they would have to know distance to the floor beforehand.
Lol. :lol: I think they took that into account when the rules were made.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
waffletree
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by waffletree »

TheChiScientist wrote:
triangulator wrote:I think i found a loophole.

Since no portion can touch the testing wall, one could attach a piece of wood extending to the floor.

If anyone actually did it, though, the boomilever would probably not qualify as a boomilever, and that length would probably weigh a lot. Also, they would have to know distance to the floor beforehand.
Lol. :lol: I think they took that into account when the rules were made.
Haha yea that's definitely not worth the effort
but imagine if every team came in with super long boomilevers that reached the floor
builder cult vp // #treegang
baker
State: NY

Post by baker »

dholdgreve wrote: Another clarification that needs made is where is the hook distance from wall measured. Yes, it says 2.5 cm, but is that from the actual distal end of the metal, or is it from the inside face of the apex of the hook? If it is inside face of hook apex, it will be difficult (i.e. impossible) to hook a boom to it without first removing the hook. I believe the intent is from the actual hook end of metal, but there will be someone, somewhere that will not interpret it that way. This will drastically effect the design and angle of the booms.

J bolt installations guide lines from National page...
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... lation.pdf
baker

Post by baker »

If it says max 15 cm, build to 14.5 cm. It will give you room to make adjustments. Same for 20 cm go 19.5 cm. Make it easy for event super...
baker

Post by baker »

J bolt specs.
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... ns2014.pdf

If you read the 2014 logs (OMG, I sound like Balsa Man) you will find a 1/2 in dia dowel fits the inside of the hook. Use your imagination.
triangulator
Division: B

Post by triangulator »

If u are in div. B, u don't have to use all three hooks, do u?
Science: It makes the world go round...
Wait, or is that wheels? I can never remember.
:cry: balsa man :cry: he made the little people build...
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

triangulator wrote:If u are in div. B, u don't have to use all three hooks, do u?
I suspect that you may be looking at past rules. As far as I can tell, neither division has multiple hooks this year.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

baker wrote:
dholdgreve wrote: Another clarification that needs made is where is the hook distance from wall measured. Yes, it says 2.5 cm, but is that from the actual distal end of the metal, or is it from the inside face of the apex of the hook? If it is inside face of hook apex, it will be difficult (i.e. impossible) to hook a boom to it without first removing the hook. I believe the intent is from the actual hook end of metal, but there will be someone, somewhere that will not interpret it that way. This will drastically effect the design and angle of the booms.

J bolt installations guide lines from National page...
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... lation.pdf
The diagram you have linked is for the 2014 season. The Testing Wall diagrams for this season are now posted on the national website's event page.
triangulator wrote:If u are in div. B, u don't have to use all three hooks, do u?
The diagram linked above is from a past season. There is only one Mounting Hook this season.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

And we all have Bernard to thank for the beautiful diagrams!
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Unome wrote:
retired1 wrote:OK, I see said the blind man. If I understand you. you would like the 20 to read 20.000 and the rest would be OK???
Simply removing the "more than" part would leave nothing ambiguous at all. Although it's unlikely for anyone familiar with SO to interpret it incorrectly except by purposeful effort, as written it may be ambiguous to someone new to SO who doesn't think about it.
As I read the rules, it is acceptable for an ES to bring a boomilever support with the CDL drawn 25cm below the j-hook, and use it for both B and C divisions. (25cm is both more than 15cm and more than 20cm...). This would give an advantage to anyone familiar with the ES in question and his "generous" apparatus. A reasonable ES will not so this. Not all ES are reasonable.

A rule fix would be to remove the words "more than" and make the distances 15.0cm and 20.0cm, requiring the CDL to be marked on the apparatus to the nearest mm. This is what appears on the diagrams on the website.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”