Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: New Jersey 2019

Post by Anomaly »

WhatScience? wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
Has there still been nothing on the website about second invitational-only teams?
If anything, this will help make better predictions for states placings...
Meh, the dominant teams will always be dominant, we know that much. I may not be someone from New Jersey but I don't really like this new policy because it doesn't allow as many people to enjoy Science Olympiad and the experience of competing. But then again, Pennsylvania never had this rule so my opinion is worth absolutely nothing.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

WhatScience? wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
lumosityfan wrote:Registration procedures have been posted on the NJSO website and registration starts September 17th. Notice that there will be no second teams at regionals this year due to insufficient regional tournament capacity.
Has there still been nothing on the website about second invitational-only teams?
Going to invitationals is definetly NOT for state predictions. Practicing, sportsmanship, having fun and travelling, collecting tests, having new partners, and meeting new people are a lot more important then "predictions for states placings" which most of the time is inaccurate for div C.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
Going to invitationals is definetly NOT for state predictions. Practicing, sportsmanship, having fun and travelling, collecting tests, having new partners, and meeting new people are a lot more important then "predictions for states placings" which most of the time is inaccurate for div C.
I think everyone might be misinterpreting WhatScience's intention...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

lumosityfan wrote:Registration procedures have been posted on the NJSO website and registration starts September 17th. Notice that there will be no second teams at regionals this year due to insufficient regional tournament capacity.
So basically, NJ has little to no chance of gaining a 2nd spot...rip
WhatScience?
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WhatScience? »

Unome wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
I meant about having only one team at regionals.

And yeah, I think B teams are allowed for invitationals (which is definitely a good thing. Competing is fun).

I am happy that the top schools can't bring two teams to regionals though. It makes it easier for people from other schools to get medals.
WhatScience?
Has thanked: 0

Post by WhatScience? »

dxu46 wrote:
So basically, NJ has little to no chance of gaining a 2nd spot...rip
I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

WhatScience? wrote:
Unome wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
I meant about having only one team at regionals.

And yeah, I think B teams are allowed for invitationals (which is definitely a good thing. Competing is fun).

I am happy that the top schools can't bring two teams to regionals though. It makes it easier for people from other schools to get medals.
...top teams are just like any other teams. Top teams, as well as their B teams, all need practice. Just like any school, there are always new scioly members who are on the B team.

Also, scioly isn't about medals. It's about the experience and learning.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote: I meant about having only one team at regionals.

...top teams are just like any other teams. Top teams, as well as their B teams, all need practice. Just like any school, there are always new scioly members who are on the B team.

Also, scioly isn't about medals. It's about the experience and learning.
Though it does make it easier to get medals, the no two team rule at regionals disables more people from getting the opportunity and experience of competing. If it gets to the point where a B team doesn't even exist anymore, then people are being deprived of the knowledge and opportunity of competing that comes with Science Olympiad.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Paypog

Post by Paypog »

WhatScience? wrote:I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
I'm not totally sure that this makes much sense to me. There is often one state at nationals that has two teams place in the top 10. For example, previous years have seen two Ohio teams place top ten as well as Michigan and Illinois (not all in the same year). Also, this would mean that this year's national tournament would see New York only having one national team, which seems rather off considering New York has the most scioly teams in the country iirc. I'm not entirely convinced that this would be the best idea.

Edit: If you meant top 10 states and not teams(which it feels like you did mean after rereading), then this would make much more sense to me but I'm still not convinced.
Last edited by Paypog on September 23rd, 2018, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2018 Events: Anatomy (Big oof), Ecology (Mild oof), Experimental Design( :D :D ), Herpetology (Mild oof)
2019 Events: Anatomy (oof), Experimental Design (oof), Herpetology (oof), Circuit Lab (oof)
2020 Events: Anatomy, Ornithology, Ping-Pong Parachute
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

WhatScience? wrote:I feel like SOINC should make the policy that the top 10 states at nationals the previous year get a second team.
I can't count the number of times I've seen this suggestion. If you really have something new to add to it, feel free to start a GC thread.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”