Designer Genes C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Designer Genes C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Designer Genes C: Participants will solve problems and analyze data or diagrams using their knowledge of the basic principles of genetics, molecular genetics and biotechnology.

Designer Genes Wiki

Designer Genes Test Exchange 2014

Past Threads: 2013, 2014

Past Question Marathons: 2014
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Does anyone care to offer an opinion on the distinction between "molecular consequences of mutations" (regional/state topic) and "mutations" (national-only topic)? I am very unclear on the distinction they intend to make. It would seem to me that it is near impossible to discussion the consequences of mutations without understanding the mutations themselves... Does this mean it's unfair to ask the definition of a point mutation, but perfectly acceptable to ask about the consequences of a point mutation?
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:Does anyone care to offer an opinion on the distinction between "molecular consequences of mutations" (regional/state topic) and "mutations" (national-only topic)? I am very unclear on the distinction they intend to make. It would seem to me that it is near impossible to discussion the consequences of mutations without understanding the mutations themselves... Does this mean it's unfair to ask the definition of a point mutation, but perfectly acceptable to ask about the consequences of a point mutation?
I suspect the national topic of mutations is a simplification of the more specific point mutations topic that existed in Heredity in the past ("Analysis of karyotypes for addition, substitution, translocation" or something to that effect, which was frequently used in practice to mean basically anything related to point mutations) that was brought over without comparison to the DG-exclusive topics. In practice, I'm thinking mutations are going to end up being used outside of nationals frequently.
Userpage

izzanom
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by izzanom »

Can anyone explain how to find additions and deletions on karyotypes?
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

izzanom wrote:Can anyone explain how to find additions and deletions on karyotypes?
A karyotype is a diagram that shows the chromosomes within the nuclei of a cell. From there, combine that with knowledge of how many chromosomes a normal version of the organism has, and then if any are missing or if there are extra or if some are longer or shorter, then you can deduce additions/deletions from there.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

MY CABBAGES!
daycd
Has thanked: 0

Post by daycd »

nicholasmaurer wrote:Does anyone care to offer an opinion on the distinction between "molecular consequences of mutations" (regional/state topic) and "mutations" (national-only topic)?
I would think that consequences of a mutation relate to function. So you could think in terms of loss and gain (No protein or more protein; no RNA or more RNA). Obviously different types of mutation can lead to similar changes in function. For example, a deletion, an insertion or a point mutation could lead to complete loss of function.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

daycd wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:Does anyone care to offer an opinion on the distinction between "molecular consequences of mutations" (regional/state topic) and "mutations" (national-only topic)?
I would think that consequences of a mutation relate to function. So you could think in terms of loss and gain (No protein or more protein; no RNA or more RNA). Obviously different types of mutation can lead to similar changes in function. For example, a deletion, an insertion or a point mutation could lead to complete loss of function.
Correct. But its unclear to me whether asking a question such as "Is a nonsense mutation more likely to lead to a gain-of-function or loss-of-function mutation?" would be legal. For some reason, they seem to have put the consequences of mutations in scope, and the types of mutations out of scope, which seems reversed to me...

jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Molecular consequences of mutations likely refers to specifically the consequences, and mutations likely includes the types and causes of mutations (while still covering the consequences). The rules for Heredity also mention mutations as a national topic. Still feels a little odd that the types and causes aren't as important, but I'm not the one who wrote the rules.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

jaspattack wrote:Molecular consequences of mutations likely refers to specifically the consequences, and mutations likely includes the types and causes of mutations (while still covering the consequences). The rules for Heredity also mention mutations as a national topic. Still feels a little odd that the types and causes aren't as important, but I'm not the one who wrote the rules.
Yes, but how are you supposed to discuss the consequences of mutations without discussing the mutations themselves?

pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
jaspattack wrote:Molecular consequences of mutations likely refers to specifically the consequences, and mutations likely includes the types and causes of mutations (while still covering the consequences). The rules for Heredity also mention mutations as a national topic. Still feels a little odd that the types and causes aren't as important, but I'm not the one who wrote the rules.
Yes, but how are you supposed to discuss the consequences of mutations without discussing the mutations themselves?
True, it's like trying to explain the effect that Klinefelter's Syndrome has on someone's body yet not including in that explanation that Klinefelter's is caused by a nondisjunction mutation in which cells that normally have an X and a Y chromosome additionally have an extra X chromosome, even though that is THE reason for the symptoms of the condition.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2019 Study Events”