Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by Unome »

Name wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Name wrote:
I mean the sites a good place to start, but using invite tests or tests here in the test exchange would probably be a better way to study once you understand the basics
Looks like I'm doomed.

But seriously, is there a better use of time than looking at Wikipedia order of magnitude pages? How'd you guys start out?
I initially started with the Fermi site (rip), and kinda studied together with someone who had a better understanding and could explain a few things that I didn't get. When I got some Fermi tests, I took them, and you should find out what you did wrong and figure out how to get the correct answers (with a calculator and google basically just to understand the process of it) and memorize the information you didn't know. Just keep taking tests and note what you did wrong so next time you (hopefully) won't make the same mistake
Multiple thousands of test questions is the way to go.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Unome wrote:
Name wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Looks like I'm doomed.

But seriously, is there a better use of time than looking at Wikipedia order of magnitude pages? How'd you guys start out?
I initially started with the Fermi site (rip), and kinda studied together with someone who had a better understanding and could explain a few things that I didn't get. When I got some Fermi tests, I took them, and you should find out what you did wrong and figure out how to get the correct answers (with a calculator and google basically just to understand the process of it) and memorize the information you didn't know. Just keep taking tests and note what you did wrong so next time you (hopefully) won't make the same mistake
^This is what you do. I would start off by studying the powers (Billion, Trillion etc.) and from there study common facts such as the mass of the sun, values of lightyears, milliseconds etc.
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Unome wrote:
Name wrote:
^This is what you do. I would start off by studying the powers (Billion, Trillion etc.) and from there study common facts such as the mass of the sun, values of lightyears, milliseconds etc.
Quizlet Rocks!
https://quizlet.com/263146210/science-o ... ash-cards/
https://quizlet.com/245983974/fermi-que ... ash-cards/
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Jacobi wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Unome wrote: Multiple thousands of test questions is the way to go.
Quizlet Rocks!
Heyo! Thanks for reminding me. Here are a couple of sets that I put together last year:
Logs and constants
Random values and stuff

(fair warning on the second set there: I wasn't very consistent on putting stuff in exponential form and a few things are very Michigan-specific)
jlordhe
Division: C
State: CA

Post by jlordhe »

I can confirm that the site no longer works and I'm probably going to do Fermi Questions
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

John Richardsim wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: ^This is what you do. I would start off by studying the powers (Billion, Trillion etc.) and from there study common facts such as the mass of the sun, values of lightyears, milliseconds etc.
Quizlet Rocks!
Heyo! Thanks for reminding me. Here are a couple of sets that I put together last year:
Logs and constants
Random values and stuff

(fair warning on the second set there: I wasn't very consistent on putting stuff in exponential form and a few things are very Michigan-specific)
Moreover, you should know your digit logs base 10:

Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Jacobi wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Logs and constants
Random values and stuff

For logs, I would recommend knowing 3 digits. I would also recommend knowing pi and e, since those do come up.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Unome wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: Heyo! Thanks for reminding me. Here are a couple of sets that I put together last year:
Logs and constants
Random values and stuff

For logs, I would recommend knowing 3 digits. I would also recommend knowing pi and e, since those do come up.
I usually approximate both of those with 3, and then go up or down a few as I feel.
acidbeaker
Division: C
State: CA

Post by acidbeaker »

What are some common conversions/weird units I should know, as someone new to this event?
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

acidbeaker wrote:What are some common conversions/weird units I should know, as someone new to this event?
Here's a document I made last year: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JyUMav ... sp=sharing

Return to “2019 Study Events”