Disease Detectives B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Unome »

Birdmusic wrote:Also, the steps to investigating an outbreak in the scioly wiki is different from the one on the cdc website, which one should be used?
There's no consistent answer, since the information is somewhat ad hoc and changes frequently. When I was modding this event for SSSS, questions asking recall for outbreak investigation steps, Hill's criteria, and Koch's postulates in the form of "list ..." always got pointed out for review.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by venules »

Birdmusic wrote: Also, the steps to investigating an outbreak in the scioly wiki is different from the one on the cdc website, which one should be used?
The ten-step process listed on the wiki is generally what I've seen on most DD tests, but it couldn't hurt to know the 13 step method/other forms of investigation as well.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Birdmusic »

Unome wrote: There's no consistent answer, since the information is somewhat ad hoc and changes frequently. When I was modding this event for SSSS, questions asking recall for outbreak investigation steps, Hill's criteria, and Koch's postulates in the form of "list ..." always got pointed out for review.
venules wrote: The ten-step process listed on the wiki is generally what I've seen on most DD tests, but it couldn't hurt to know the 13 step method/other forms of investigation as well.
Thanks!
I like birds.
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

Hi,
New to this event . Can someone suggest resources to prepare and can 2018 material used for this yr?
Thanks
daturtle4031

Post by daturtle4031 »

I know that Disease Detectives has a focus each year that is on a rotation. Food borne, etc... Does anyone know what the focus is for the 2019 comps? Thanks!
Unome

Post by Unome »

daturtle4031 wrote:I know that Disease Detectives has a focus each year that is on a rotation. Food borne, etc... Does anyone know what the focus is for the 2019 comps? Thanks!
As of this year, the event no longer has a focus.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Unome wrote:
daturtle4031 wrote:I know that Disease Detectives has a focus each year that is on a rotation. Food borne, etc... Does anyone know what the focus is for the 2019 comps? Thanks!
Seriously?

Can you provide the info on that? I thought it was EQ
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Anomaly »

Killboe wrote:
Unome wrote:
Seriously?

Can you provide the info on that? I thought it was EQ
If you've read the rules, you'll find that they don't have any specific topic in there and instead, divided the event into three sections.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi,
New to this event . Can someone suggest resources to prepare and can 2018 material used for this yr?
Thanks
A good place to start is the scioly wiki. It has most of the basic epidemiology stuff. After that, a good website to use is the CDC’s website, which has more in-depth info.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
anagene

Post by anagene »

Birdmusic wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Also, the steps to investigating an outbreak in the scioly wiki is different from the one on the cdc website, which one should be used?
The expectation is that everyone will update to the 13-step one, but ES's...
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.

Return to “2019 Study Events”