Wright Stuff C

Araluen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by Araluen »

Like someone else earlier i have been put on a flying event for the first time this year. I was reading through the rules and other outside sources...everyone keeps talking about this action of trimming a plane. What does that mean? From what i've understood, trimming is used to modify the path the actual device will fly through the use of practice flights but i'm not 100% sure.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Araluen wrote:Like someone else earlier i have been put on a flying event for the first time this year. I was reading through the rules and other outside sources...everyone keeps talking about this action of trimming a plane. What does that mean? From what i've understood, trimming is used to modify the path the actual device will fly through the use of practice flights but i'm not 100% sure.
Your understanding is generally accurate. I'm not knowledgeable on the details.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

Araluen wrote:Like someone else earlier i have been put on a flying event for the first time this year. I was reading through the rules and other outside sources...everyone keeps talking about this action of trimming a plane. What does that mean? From what i've understood, trimming is used to modify the path the actual device will fly through the use of practice flights but i'm not 100% sure.

Yes; building an amazing airplane will only get you so far. You have to trim by doing multiple test flights, testing one variable at a time (which can be the rudder, wing, where you put clay if applicable, or most importantly, rubber). Of course, there are many more things you can trim, but those were the biggest things I've trimmed over the years. Most of the things on your airplane can be trimmed if you stay within the competition dimensions. You're just changing things on your airplane to the best you can make them within competition standards.

I can not stress enough. KEEP A GOOD FLIGHT LOG. The goal of this event is to learn by testing and seeing what works. From flying events, I can definitely take away that keeping a detailed legit flight log was what led to the greatest advancements in my flying.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

Araluen,

Welcome to Wright Stuff. When I was a new coach to this event six years ago, in order to quickly absorb the concepts to add to my 50 year’s experience with indoor model airplanes, I read all past year’s forum posts. You will findthat this does not take as long as it sounds as you will see pretty quickly that most “pages” of posts contain only one or a few substantive posts from those experienced with the event.

I and a number of other experienced model airplane flyers, coaches and students have posted in previous year’s WS forums a significant amount of info about building, trimming, rubber and prop selection and modification; including pictures.

Of course, continue to post questions here for assistance. Good luck and have fun with aerospace engineering.

Brian T
AMA since 1968 ( off and on)
jlordhe
State: CA

Post by jlordhe »

Wright Stuff sounds interesting, but my building skills suck...rip
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

jlordhe,

Pretty much every step for constructing Wright Stuff can be supported and aligned with the flat building surface, pins or pin blocks or simple jigs.

I would encourage you to give it a try. If you build the Freedom Flight kit, the instructions describe and picture the steps showing how to support the structures as you build.

Brian T.
DarkSparklyUnicorn
State: NC

Post by DarkSparklyUnicorn »

How do you all transport your planes? I have been using cardboard chip boxes (30 pack lays) with supports for the past few years of helicopter, but I'm not sure that they are appropriate for wright stuff. I have seen the f1d style travel boxes, but I do not have the tools to make something with that level of woodworking. Pictures of your solutions would be appreciated.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

DarkSparklyUnicorn wrote:How do you all transport your planes? I have been using cardboard chip boxes (30 pack lays) with supports for the past few years of helicopter, but I'm not sure that they are appropriate for wright stuff. I have seen the f1d style travel boxes, but I do not have the tools to make something with that level of woodworking. Pictures of your solutions would be appreciated.
Try plastic underbed storage containers. They work well if your wing can detach from the fuselage. Planes are light enough that nothing should damage even if unsecured if only planes are stored in the box.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DarkSparklyUnicorn
State: NC

Post by DarkSparklyUnicorn »

bernard wrote:
DarkSparklyUnicorn wrote:How do you all transport your planes? I have been using cardboard chip boxes (30 pack lays) with supports for the past few years of helicopter, but I'm not sure that they are appropriate for wright stuff. I have seen the f1d style travel boxes, but I do not have the tools to make something with that level of woodworking. Pictures of your solutions would be appreciated.
Try plastic underbed storage containers. They work well if your wing can detach from the fuselage. Planes are light enough that nothing should damage even if unsecured if only planes are stored in the box.
Most of those types of boxes are too short at the bottom to store my motor stick and tailboom. I guess I'll need to learn to roll motor sticks and tailbooms to make them detachable.
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

We use a larger plastic tote (clear) that fit the plane assembled. Of course, that means we drive to the events, not fly. I use Goop glue to put in some EPP foam blocks (like computer stuff is packed with), with slots to support the motor stick. We have not broken anything this way in transport, and the planes are ready to fly, trimmed out, upon arrival. We keep the planes in the box except for the one flying (the box holds 2) when practicing, to avoid the unfortunate crash damage when the flying one hits the one on the bench (ask me why...).

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records

Return to “Wright Stuff C”