Sounds of Music C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

bingbong wrote:So My teammate and I are making a makeshift violin, and in the rules it stays no professional and toy tuning pegs. Does that mean we can't make our own or ...? :shock: :shock:
No, it just means you can't use one that's already been made.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
brokenAvocado
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by brokenAvocado »

When the rules sat you can bring rosin for string instruments, does that mean bows are allowed? Now when I mean bow I mean a custom made one but with horse hair replacements. Then is horse hair a type of string they do allow?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

brokenAvocado wrote:When the rules sat you can bring rosin for string instruments, does that mean bows are allowed? Now when I mean bow I mean a custom made one but with horse hair replacements. Then is horse hair a type of string they do allow?
By rule 3.a. horsehair has a string-like form and could be allowed, but they are also a part used in professional instruments which would prohibit their use. I suggest submitting an FAQ so you can possibly get an answer that you can reference if questioned at tournaments. As a supervisor, I would allow horsehair as it is almost a raw material with few refinements and in this way comparable to hide glue.

Some tips for working with horsehair. Lay out the hair and remove strands with sharp kinks. Thoroughly wet hair with water before installing and comb while installing; this will organize the hairs, and the hairs shorten as they dry. Tying hair with a good knot will help the hair hold consistent tension over time. Gilles Nehr on Youtube has good videos on the process, though he has odd 16 second interludes in each of his videos.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

When it says that all notes must lie between F2 and F5, is that inclusive of F2 and F5?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

TheSquaad wrote:When it says that all notes must lie between F2 and F5, is that inclusive of F2 and F5?
That's a great question. However, rather than worrying about it I would just recommend you play a scale assuming the most restrictive interpretation, so it doesn't affect you.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Unome wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:When it says that all notes must lie between F2 and F5, is that inclusive of F2 and F5?
That's a great question. However, rather than worrying about it I would just recommend you play a scale assuming the most restrictive interpretation, so it doesn't affect you.
(To find out, you can get a rules clarification on soinc.org)
Unome

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Unome wrote:
(To find out, you can get a rules clarification on soinc.org)
That too - submit a FAQ
Userpage

ScienceHamster

Post by ScienceHamster »

Is using certain woods from websites that specialize in making guitars prohibited?
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

ScienceHamster wrote:Is using certain woods from websites that specialize in making guitars prohibited?
Rule 3a prohibits "parts of instruments". So you can't buy tuning pegs or a guitar neck. I'd think you also can't buy pre-shaped guitar body pieces. But I see no reason why you can't buy an expensive plank from a guitar wood store rather than a cheap plank from a lumber store.
AAH2020

Post by AAH2020 »

Are wind chimes considered an instrument?

Return to “2019 Lab Events”