Density Lab B

arv101
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by arv101 »

How are you guys gonna practice the lab section?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

arv101 wrote:How are you guys gonna practice the lab section?

No clue.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

I don't exactly understand why they removed calculations of molarity from 3.d.ii. At first I thought that it was to avoid moles, but they left the ideal gas law in 3.d.iii, so I don't really know.

Another thing about the rules I don't understand is why they limit the use of parts-per notation to million and billion. For example, if I wanted to make a question about something at a concentration of 5 parts-per-trillion, couldn't I just say a concentration of 0.005 parts-per-billion in order to get around this?
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

John Richardsim wrote:I don't exactly understand why they removed calculations of molarity from 3.d.ii. At first I thought that it was to avoid moles, but they left the ideal gas law in 3.d.iii, so I don't really know.

Another thing about the rules I don't understand is why they limit the use of parts-per notation to million and billion. For example, if I wanted to make a question about something at a concentration of 5 parts-per-trillion, couldn't I just say a concentration of 0.005 parts-per-billion in order to get around this?
'

I like how I spent like an hour studying how to calculate molarity and stuff like that and then I just see this comment. kmn

Since it's a brand new event I'm assuming they're making adjustments? The event rules are very vague and not very well made. Maybe they're making the event easier? Idk
Last edited by Killboe on September 17th, 2018, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Killboe wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:I don't exactly understand why they removed calculations of molarity from 3.d.ii. At first I thought that it was to avoid moles, but they left the ideal gas law in 3.d.iii, so I don't really know.

'

I like how I spent like an hour studying how to calculate molarity and stuff like that and then I just see this comment. kmn
Now you're prepared for when an event supervisor inadvertently asks questions about molarity :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Unome wrote:
Killboe wrote:

'

Now you're prepared for when an event supervisor inadvertently asks questions about molarity :P
It's an extremely useful thing to know anyway if you're ever going to do any chem events or take any chem classes in the future.
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

Any of you know how to solve the number density of the green skittles in a bag thing?
John Richardsim
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

I think the number density of skittles or M&Ms in a bag is kind of a weird question to ask. If the volume is just in units of "bags", then it's literally just counting the number of skittles/M&Ms of a certain color. If it is in units of cubic centimeters or the sorts, then there's the difficulty of being able to measure the volume of the bag, which would be able to change once the bag is opened. The only thing I can imagine for this would be dunking the bag in a beaker or large graduated cylinder to measure the volume and then opening the bag to count.

I also think having this in a test would raise certain logistical issues as well. If one bag is provided for all teams, skittles/M&Ms are bound to go missing. If a bag is provided for each team, the exact counts and measurements would vary between teams, making it pretty much impossible to evaluate teams on their accuracy.

Am I not thinking of something here?
someone1580
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by someone1580 »

Do any of you know if there are any practice tests for Density Lab?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

someone1580 wrote:Do any of you know if there are any practice tests for Density Lab?
On the wiki if you go to the old test exchange, on the 2018 full test set for Garnet Valley Invitational, there should be a test for Density that was run as a trial last year (since its a trial test, it is fairly basic, so it would be a good place to start off with, but don't expect tests this year to be like that).
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now

Return to “2019 Lab Events”