Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro »

alchzh wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble with notes on "galactic structure and interactions". What kind of knowledge on this do you think would be expected?
A similar question applies to most of the rules, so it helps to narrow in on what's the issue (even if it's just "where to begin"). Is there anything specific you're having trouble with (e.g. is the issue more with "structure" or "interactions)? Are you confused what to search? Or is it more practical, like are you unsure what questions could be asked on a test based on what you've searched (not the only approach to starting studying...but still a fair question)?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
alchzh
Has thanked: 0

Post by alchzh »

syo_astro wrote:
alchzh wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble with notes on "galactic structure and interactions". What kind of knowledge on this do you think would be expected?
A similar question applies to most of the rules, so it helps to narrow in on what's the issue (even if it's just "where to begin"). Is there anything specific you're having trouble with (e.g. is the issue more with "structure" or "interactions)? Are you confused what to search? Or is it more practical, like are you unsure what questions could be asked on a test based on what you've searched (not the only approach to starting studying...but still a fair question)?
Lazily copied from IRC
alchzh wrote:22:37 <alchzh> syo_astro: I'm just not sure what they want for galaxial interactions other than "things happen" and "ask the physics models" lol
22:37 <alchzh> and to a lesser extent what all there is to be learned as a high schooler regarding structure
Regarding interactions: is this just going to be a case by case thing regarding the specific DSOs we have?

EDIT: Might we need to know advance physics-y stuff like http://casa.colorado.edu/~danforth/scie ... ION0001000 ?
Columbia University. Maybe starting an invitational. No promises.
alchzh's Userpage
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

alchzh wrote:
syo_astro wrote:
Lazily copied from IRC
alchzh wrote:22:37 <alchzh> syo_astro: I'm just not sure what they want for galaxial interactions other than "things happen" and "ask the physics models" lol
22:37 <alchzh> and to a lesser extent what all there is to be learned as a high schooler regarding structure
Regarding interactions: is this just going to be a case by case thing regarding the specific DSOs we have?

EDIT: Might we need to know advance physics-y stuff like http://casa.colorado.edu/~danforth/scie ... ION0001000 ?
It may very much be so if this is a binder/computer event; I would look into specifics of each object, especially if it is a galaxy and potential stars they may have (take this with a grain of salt though!)
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
alchzh

Post by alchzh »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:It may very much be so if this is a binder/computer event
I can confirm that this is indeed a binder/computer event

welcome to Div. C?
Columbia University. Maybe starting an invitational. No promises.
alchzh's Userpage
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

alchzh wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:It may very much be so if this is a binder/computer event
I can confirm that this is indeed a binder/computer event

welcome to Div. C?
Thanks, still trying to adjust to astronomy after reach for the stars had been replaced by solar system last year. Not doing so hot right now :cry:
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

OrigamiPlanet wrote: Thanks, still trying to adjust to astronomy after reach for the stars had been replaced by solar system last year. Not doing so hot right now :cry:
That's fine! I didn't even get on team for astro as an HS freshman XD. All questions / good discussion welcome:D.

Back to the original (edited) post by alchzh. Warning what I say might be irrelevant to your region/state. I also am not a galaxies pro, and the event is new. To your edit, I can't read it now, but the usual applies: graphs / concepts are fair, no calculus. Also, yes, it always helps to study the concepts alongside relevant DSOs. I think it also depends how you like to study. I used to do DSOs first, but I know some like delving more into the concepts or physics more.

That said, there is a ton to learn about galactic structure. Is it tough to find resources describing the vocab, theory, and observations for HSers? [this part I mentioned on IRC]: If you want to know more practically (i.e. what could be on a test) it could be anything from "label this galaxy to "explain/do physics showing some part of a galaxy".

As for interactions...the material can get hard...I'll leave that to others if they can find more approachable ways for it (unless someone has already in the question marathons?).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Apologies for the double post, this is just quite irrelevant to the last post, so I hope it is fair...

Webinars posted!!! http://chandra.harvard.edu/edu/olympiad.html [Yes, that's right, a different person doing each, even more excitement!!!]
starstudent
Been thanked: 0

Post by starstudent »

What are some good resources to use for astronomy if you're using a laptop for the event?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

starstudent wrote:What are some good resources to use for astronomy if you're using a laptop for the event?
Same as a binder?

For DSOs Chandra is really helpful.
Back when I started, I used a lot of http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
My biggest resources are astronomy course lecture notes.You might have to do some digging, but they are incredibly useful.
There was some textbook I used to have for the math for astro, but the computer where I bought and downloaded it broke, so I no longer have access to it.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
starstudent
Been thanked: 0

Post by starstudent »

Thanks!

Return to “2019 Study Events”