Adjusting steering

builder83

Adjusting steering

Postby builder83 » October 7th, 2018, 2:13 pm

As a different curve would be needed at 9 meters than 12 to maximize bonus, I assume people will be attempting at adjust steering prior to a run. I have seen some caliper ideas from div c but wondering what other ideas people had to micro adjust their vehicles steering.

Or run it to maximize bonus at 12 meters and set steering there and take a slightly less high bonus score as the distance decreases to 9 meters?

Ummmm
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Adjusting steering

Postby Ummmm » October 8th, 2018, 4:05 pm

The caliper steering system is an accurate system for steering that works exceptionally well when adequately mounted and calibrated. If you have the time and resources to do so, it would be a good idea to use a caliper system. However, the section of the rules regarding electronic components (3.f.) does not allow electronic measurement of any kind, excluding a stand-alone calculator, so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.

If you built the buggy to only have one steering setting, you could expect to be able to keep up with other teams with adjustable steering at some less competitive invitationals and possibly regionals depending on how competitive your area is. If your team is in a more competitive region, an adjustable steering system would be well worth it.

You should also make sure that whatever system you use, it can be set up quickly enough for two runs in eight minutes.
Last edited by Ummmm on October 8th, 2018, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Results from last year. (Div B)
Battery Buggy: 5th at regionals, 1st at states
Towers: 4th at regionals, 3rd at states

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » October 8th, 2018, 4:46 pm

tried and tested
Were calipers even in common use before Bazinga+ popularized them?

(i feel old)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Ummmm
State: PA

Postby Ummmm » October 8th, 2018, 5:01 pm

tried and tested

(i feel old)
I guess that my choice of words implies longer term use. I'll fix my word choice. However, I have seen quite a bit of experimenting with the concept recently, but I don't know about how extensive the use is in other parts of the country.
Results from last year. (Div B)
Battery Buggy: 5th at regionals, 1st at states
Towers: 4th at regionals, 3rd at states

DarthBuilder
State: IL

Postby DarthBuilder » October 8th, 2018, 6:13 pm

tried and tested

(i feel old)
I guess that my choice of words implies longer term use. I'll fix my word choice. However, I have seen quite a bit of experimenting with the concept recently, but I don't know about how extensive the use is in other parts of the country.
Haven’t heard of any calipers near me
Deleted

Srinivas

Postby Srinivas » October 8th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks

DarthBuilder
State: IL

Postby DarthBuilder » October 8th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Is this a front or rear axle steering? Any reference documents / links on this caliper steering.

Thanks

I think front. There’s a few videos on YouTube.
Deleted

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » October 8th, 2018, 9:21 pm

tried and tested

(i feel old)
What a legend... Though I didn't know that he made calipers popular...
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and hopefully Gravity Vehicle
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
God Bless Len Joeris (Balsa Man) - Don't cry because he is gone. Smile because he was here.

MadCow2357
State: RI

Postby MadCow2357 » October 8th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Thanks
https://youtu.be/pKC8MYRgflI
No documents exist that are known to me... But this video is really even better than a document. Nestor also answered a few questions in the comments, by the way.
MadCow2357's Userpage
2020 Events: Boomilever, Machines, Wright Stuff, and hopefully Gravity Vehicle
Member of the Builder Cult and DMAH
Gallagher Middle School '19
Barrington High School '23
God Bless Len Joeris (Balsa Man) - Don't cry because he is gone. Smile because he was here.

windu34
State: FL

Postby windu34 » October 9th, 2018, 10:53 am

so, most likely, you will have to compromise to a vernier or a dial caliper, instead of a digital one like those used in division C. This leaves more opportunity for human error while setting up the buggy, especially under the stress of competition.
Why do you think a dial caliper isnt as effective as a digital one? They have nearly the same precision and accuracy for the most part. The SAE team at my school mainly use dial calipers and from what I understand, they were pretty common in industry before the digital caliper. I disagree with the idea that a dial caliper cant be just as effective as a digital one. The real hard part will be locking the caliper in place, because plastic dial calipers dont have the set screw like the stainless steel digital ones used by most of us in EV
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

Return to “Battery Buggy B”