Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by jlordhe »

M017 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Anomaly wrote: I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.
You could always copy the relevant material onto your computer – that both helps you use space efficiently and helps you remember the general gist of things (although whether that's an efficient use of your time is debatable). Another option is scanning the pages.
This is exactly what I did last year. I just paraphrased what information it had.
How successful were you?
Events I Might Do and Want to Do: Fossils, Wright Stuff, Herpetology, Water Quality, Boomilever
longshot0921

Post by longshot0921 »

Anomaly wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:Since I don't have a printer friendly version of my field guide, can I just tape a piece of paper to it with three holes to attach to the 2-inch binder?
I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.
I have an invitation coming up and I haven't completed my reference pages yet, so would it be legal to attack a field guide to a binder this way?
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

longshot0921 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:Since I don't have a printer friendly version of my field guide, can I just tape a piece of paper to it with three holes to attach to the 2-inch binder?
I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.
I have an invitation coming up and I haven't completed my reference pages yet, so would it be legal to attack a field guide to a binder this way?
I would assume you can attack a field guide to your binder as long as it fits in a 2 inch one.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
M017
Division: B
State: NE

Post by M017 »

jlordhe wrote:
M017 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: You could always copy the relevant material onto your computer – that both helps you use space efficiently and helps you remember the general gist of things (although whether that's an efficient use of your time is debatable). Another option is scanning the pages.
This is exactly what I did last year. I just paraphrased what information it had.
How successful were you?
14th at nats
longshot0921

Post by longshot0921 »

Froggie wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:
Anomaly wrote: I probably wouldn't put a field guide in a binder, as that will probably use up most of the binder space that you have in there.
I would assume you can attack a field guide to your binder as long as it fits in a 2 inch one.
I'll try it at the invitational and I'll just hope I won't get penalized or DQed. I'm currently creating my own reference pages for the future. I'll let you know how it goes.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

longshot0921 wrote:
Froggie wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:
I'll try it at the invitational and I'll just hope I won't get penalized or DQed. I'm currently creating my own reference pages for the future. I'll let you know how it goes.
2 inch binders are pretty limiting though so I wouldn't suggest doing this for competitions later on in the season
anagene
State: GA

Post by anagene »

Depends on your ES. Where is your invitational ?
He had the look of one who had drunk the cup of life and found a dead beetle at the bottom.
Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

longshot0921 wrote:
Froggie wrote:
longshot0921 wrote:
You should be able to get way with it if the invitational is early on and more relaxed, but if its a more intense tournament that is known to have tough tests and good proctors you should have your coach check ahead of time with the hosts and ES to see if it would be acceptable.
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

The thing is, while the field guides contain a fair bit of info, they are inconsistent from entry to entry. It would be difficult, at best, to be competitive...
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

dvegadvol wrote:The thing is, while the field guides contain a fair bit of info, they are inconsistent from entry to entry. It would be difficult, at best, to be competitive...
That’s why I wouldn’t recommended it; not only that, it’s hard to read, flip from page to page, keep the book on the page you want, and there’s no saying whether all the organisms on the list are in your field guide.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Return to “2019 Study Events”