The Union of Safety for SciOly Engineers.

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Things2do
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: The Union of Safety for SciOly Engineers.

Post by Things2do »

46: Don't drill a board with it laying on Christmas lights on your front porch after dark with 10,000 multicolored lights being the only light because the porch light is off for the lights... (My lights are still safe and intact, but...)
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

47. The insulation on the power cord for your soldering iron will melt if you rest the soldering iron on it.
48. Soldering irons are metal. Metal conducts electricity. (See 47).
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Cmon, safety doesn't only apply to builds ppl!

49. P P E for whatever reason whatsoever
50. Try your best not to spill the 2M HCl or 2M NaOH on yourself in 4n6. No personal experience with this tho.
51. Don't reach over a bunsen burner or hot plate with your sleeves rolled up to any length. Do have personal experience with this one and the mark to prove it. It originally blistered too due to the lack of availability of medical attention on the tournament day...
52. Tasting powders is an inappropriate and potentially dangerous method of identification attempting.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by venules »

sciolyperson1 wrote:35. Don't put super glue on styrofoam, it starts smoking under the right conditions.
53. Along the same vein, don't hot glue styrofoam. It will melt. Seems obvious, but alas, I did it anyway.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
Things2do

Post by Things2do »

venules wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:35. Don't put super glue on styrofoam, it starts smoking under the right conditions.
53. Along the same vein, don't hot glue styrofoam. It will melt. Seems obvious, but alas, I did it anyway.
54. It is possible to glue Styrofoam without it melting, but it's hard. It involves putting the glue on your finger until it cools enough for the foam...
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Things2do wrote:
venules wrote:
54. It is possible to glue Styrofoam without it melting, but it's hard. It involves putting the glue on your finger until it cools enough for the foam...
could a dowel not suffice? I find it hard to believe you did not have a pencil or a dead pen somewhere nearby.
As you can tell from one of my earlier tips, hot glue + hand =bad.

55. Less for safety than for sanity, but make you sure you spend the extra 10-15 minutes it takes to pack everything back up for the night. Otherwise, you'll end up with two rooms + a garage full of PLA splinters, wood scraps, carbon fiber dowels, test tubes, wires, etc. I actually found a pack of servos under a closet, back from when I did robot arm. That would have been really helpful when all my other servos burned out, and I needed some ASAP.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Things2do

Post by Things2do »

PM2017 wrote:
Things2do wrote:
venules wrote: 53. Along the same vein, don't hot glue styrofoam. It will melt. Seems obvious, but alas, I did it anyway.
could a dowel not suffice? I find it hard to believe you did not have a pencil or a dead pen somewhere nearby.
As you can tell from one of my earlier tips, hot glue + hand =bad.

55. Less for safety than for sanity, but make you sure you spend the extra 10-15 minutes it takes to pack everything back up for the night. Otherwise, you'll end up with two rooms + a garage full of PLA splinters, wood scraps, carbon fiber dowels, test tubes, wires, etc. I actually found a pack of servos under a closet, back from when I did robot arm. That would have been really helpful when all my other servos burned out, and I needed some ASAP.
The finger was easier... Besides, I never let it heat up much. It's a old gun. I use it as soon as anything'll come outta the nozzle...
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
TheChiScientist
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

55. Metal conducts heat very easily. So does your hand... :cry: (Gotta love 1st degree burns :( )
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Things2do

Post by Things2do »

TheChiScientist wrote:55. Metal conducts heat very easily. So does your hand... :cry: (Gotta love 1st degree burns :( )
2nd degree are better. Actually, 3rd's the best, but I've no experience with them...
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
linzhiyan
Division: C
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan »

56. The metal tip of a hot glue gun is, well, HOT!
(Stupid, obvious tip, but I apparently thought that it was a good idea to pick up a warmed up hot glue gun by its metal tip... :roll: )
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次

Return to “General Competition”