Wilmington - UNC Wilmington - 3/2/19
Winston Salem - Wake Forest University - 3/2/19
Asheville - UNC Asheville - 3/2/19
Charlotte - Phillip O Berry Academy of Technology - 3/2/19
Hickory - Catawba Valley Community College - 3/16/19
Cullowhee - Western Carolina University - 3/30/19
Laurinburg - St. Andrews University - 3/30/19

State Tournament: April 26-27, 2019, North Carolina State University

National Qualifiers: B4 Piedmont IB Middle School, B5 Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences, C5 North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, C6 William G. Enloe High School

Regional schedules and event conflicts have been out since August 10. This post will *ideally* be updated regularly as important updates and tournament results come out.

A little history fact to start off the season: the original incarnation of SciOly hosted by St. Andrew's College was used as a recruitment tactic for prospective students.
Last edited by venules on April 29th, 2019, 12:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Carolina 2019

Post by venules »

Not much to say as it is still early on, but it should be interesting to see how Division B plays out this year. Piedmont is sending two teams to Chattahoochee on December 8th, and does not appear to be sending any teams to O'Neal which is the same weekend. Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences appears to be participating at Chattahoochee and O'Neal, so they are presumably splitting their team up. They should still be pretty strong this year, but I wonder how they're holding up after Florence and Michael. Jay M. Robinson is also attending O'Neal.

There probably won't be much activity in Division C until winter as well, since Duke (the largest invite) is in January. The full list of teams has not been published yet, but it is likely that a lot of the top contenders at the state tournament will be in attendance.

Also, after weeks of speculation, the Charlotte regional is finally confirmed to be on March 2nd, 2019. (Possible dates were March 2nd since Charlotte and Wilmington usually host their tournaments on the same day and March 9th because it was during UNCC's spring break.)
Last edited by venules on December 9th, 2018, 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

venules wrote:Not much to say as it is still early on, but it should be interesting to see how Division B plays out this year. Piedmont is sending two teams to Chattahoochee on December 8th, and does not appear to be sending any teams to O'Neal which is the same weekend. Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences appears to be participating at Chattahoochee and O'Neal, so they are presumably splitting their team up. They should still be pretty strong this year, but I wonder how they're holding up after Florence and Michael. Jay M. Robinson is also attending O'Neal.

There probably won't be much activity in Division C until winter as well, since Duke (the largest invite) is in January. The full list of teams has not been published yet, but it is likely that a lot of the top contenders at the state tournament will be in attendance.

Also, after weeks of speculation, the Charlotte regional is finally confirmed to be on March 2nd, 2019. (Possible dates were March 2nd since Charlotte and Wilmington usually host their tournaments on the same day and March 9th because it was during UNCC's spring break.)
It will definitely be interesting to see how Division B turns out. WAAS has looked very close to breaking the Piedmont-Carnage national pairing over the last couple of years. Unfortunately I don't remember Division B scores from last year, but I think it was pretty close.

It will also be interesting to see how Green Hope HS does at states. They placed 8th at states and 1st at regionals despite not even advancing to states (I think*) in 2016 or 2017. *I only know the top 18 from 2017 and the top 20something from 2016 and they were not in either one

Does anyone know which teams will attend the National Ready regional this year? I imagine of course that the main three (Raleigh Charter, Enloe, NCSSM) will attend as they have for the past 4+ years. But there's been a shuffling rotation of 1-2 other teams attending along with those main 3, and in the past 4 years none have stayed longer than 2 years (Smoky Mountain in 2017 and 2018 was the closest thing to consistency I've seen). This year, however, Smoky won't be invited (probably) as they placed out of the top 10 and only the top 10 are supposed to get an invitation.

I'm curious to see which teams will accompany RCHS, EHS and NCSSM (assuming those three attend as usual). Of the 7 other schools to get invitations, 5 were also invited last year and did not attend, so I'd imagine that they won't attend this year either (but that could change, of course). The only 2 teams that will be invited this year that were not invited last year are Green Hope and Atkins Academy and Tech.

Green Hope competes in the Raleigh region anyway, so location would not be an issue for them. However, Cardinal Gibbons competes in Raleigh almost every year (at least the past 4) despite getting invited to NRT most years, so maybe Green Hope would choose to compete in Raleigh anyway? I have to imagine that going to the NRT would be pretty daunting for a new team, and a bad loss would be demoralizing. Furthermore, a team that typically doesn't compete for states may be less inclined to prepare early in the season if they know they have an automatic bid (whereas competing in Raleigh would force them to work harder early on). Still, an automatic bid is not meaningless. Even though I'd project Green Hope to place 1st/2nd in Raleigh this year (it'll be between them and Gibbons, probably, but who knows), anything can happen.

Atkins A and T is from Winston Salem, so it would be a bit of a drive. I don't imagine that they would come to Raleigh, but then again Smoky Mountain did it for the last two years.

It's very conceivable that the NRT could consist of just 3 teams this year, or that it will be dissolved this year, or that NCSO will have to extend invitations below the top 10 to get at least 4-5 teams for the NRT (because Smoky Mountain placed out of the top 10 and thus should not get a NRT bid).
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
megrimlockawesom
Division: C

Post by megrimlockawesom »

venules wrote:Not much to say as it is still early on, but it should be interesting to see how Division B plays out this year. Piedmont is sending two teams to Chattahoochee on December 8th, and does not appear to be sending any teams to O'Neal which is the same weekend. Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences appears to be participating at Chattahoochee and O'Neal, so they are presumably splitting their team up. They should still be pretty strong this year, but I wonder how they're holding up after Florence and Michael. Jay M. Robinson is also attending O'Neal.

yeah I agree Div B will be pretty fun to watch as a veteran.

My high school isn't going to any invitationals :(
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by venules »

Unome wrote: 1. Piedmont - Red (138)
[...]
4. Piedmont - Black (211)
5. Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences (214)

Full Scores

Piedmont remains just as good as always, with one of their teams medaling in all but 4 events. Their manually stacked score is 95, with their lower-ranked team beating their higher-ranked team in 8 events. [...]
^ I'll just leave this here.

WAAS also placed 7th overall at the O'Neal Invitational per their head coach's Facebook, but it seems that O'Neal has not released the full results yet. Piedmont did end up sending a team to O'Neal, and Carnage and JMR were in attendance as well. Will update once there's more info.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

venules wrote:
Unome wrote: 1. Piedmont - Red (138)
[...]
4. Piedmont - Black (211)
5. Wilmington Academy of Arts & Sciences (214)

Full Scores

Piedmont remains just as good as always, with one of their teams medaling in all but 4 events. Their manually stacked score is 95, with their lower-ranked team beating their higher-ranked team in 8 events. [...]
^ I'll just leave this here.

WAAS also placed 7th overall at the O'Neal Invitational per their head coach's Facebook, but it seems that O'Neal has not released the full results yet. Piedmont did end up sending a team to O'Neal, and Carnage and JMR were in attendance as well. Will update once there's more info.
Yeah, Piedmont's actual results were very slightly worse than I would expect them to be at peak, but I attributed that to them also sending a team to O'Neal.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Buckstops
Division: B

Post by Buckstops »

Anyone have the ONeal scores to post?
Buckstops
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn"
Jdhfh_Study

Post by Jdhfh_Study »

The teams for Duke Invitationals can be seen in this doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Carnage MS Varsity: R/S/N
DD: 1/6/29, Green Gen: 1/1/29, Fossils: 3/10/29

3-year hiatus...
Cary Academy JV1: Duke/R/S(hopefully?)
Fossils:3/1/-
DP:5/1/-
Anat:10/1/-
Astro:9/2/-
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

Who went to the Piedmont IB Invite? How did it go?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by venules »

Duke Results:
1. Enloe
2. NCSSM
5. RCHS
6. North Mecklenburg
7. Chapel Hill
8. Atkins Academic and Technology HS
9. Cary Academy
10. Triangle Math and Science

WAAS also placed first at the Fulton Science Academy invitational in Georgia.

O'Neal and Piedmont results still haven't been publicly released, but we have some regional results:

Raleigh Regional B
1. Mills Park (135)
2. Davis Drive (136)
3. Carnage (141)
4. West Cary (191)
5. Daniels Magnet (244)
6. Martin Middle (287)

Raleigh Regional C
1. Cardinal Gibbons (101)
2. Cary Academy (117)
3. Panther Creek (124)
4. Durham Academy (126)
5. Athens Drive (166)
6. Wake Forest High (195)
Update 2/24: Only the top 4 teams advanced to state

National Ready C
1. NCSSM (40)
2. Enloe (44)
3. RCHS (65)
4. Green Hope High School (81)
Last edited by venules on February 24th, 2019, 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”