Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

anagene wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
The expectation is that everyone will update to the 13-step one, but ES's...
Why is that? Both are equaly valid, no?
gl10086
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gl10086 »

So, I'm new to this and my teacher is asking me to make her a list of tools and materials I need for each of my events. Can anyone tell me what I need to use for this event?
"Everyone is weird. If you're not weird, you're weird." -Me

Yellow is the best color ever.

Everything is awesomesauce!

Peace out. 8-)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

gl10086 wrote:So, I'm new to this and my teacher is asking me to make her a list of tools and materials I need for each of my events. Can anyone tell me what I need to use for this event?
A notesheet. And a calculator.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

gl10086 wrote:So, I'm new to this and my teacher is asking me to make her a list of tools and materials I need for each of my events. Can anyone tell me what I need to use for this event?
All that you can bring into this event is two non-graphing calculators, writing utensils, and one double-sided note sheet with anything you want on it.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
gl10086

Post by gl10086 »

Thank you.
"Everyone is weird. If you're not weird, you're weird." -Me

Yellow is the best color ever.

Everything is awesomesauce!

Peace out. 8-)
jinforthewin
State: OH

Post by jinforthewin »

Does anybody have some good resources for beginners? I’ve gone through the wiki and the CDC page but I feel like I’ve only skimmed the surface. If anybody has any recommendations that would be great. :)
SCiOLY is life

Division C
(First year :) )
Chem Lab | Disease Detectives | Protein Modeling

Divison B 2018
Ecology - 3rd at Regionals
Disease Detectives - 3rd at Regionals
Dynamic Planet - 2nd at Regionals
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

jinforthewin wrote:Does anybody have some good resources for beginners? I’ve gone through the wiki and the CDC page but I feel like I’ve only skimmed the surface. If anybody has any recommendations that would be great. :)
Take some practice tests :)

If you want to go more in-depth, check out the CDC handbook for epidemiology: https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/ss1978/ss1978.pdf

It's pretty long though.
jinforthewin
State: OH

Post by jinforthewin »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
jinforthewin wrote:Does anybody have some good resources for beginners? I’ve gone through the wiki and the CDC page but I feel like I’ve only skimmed the surface. If anybody has any recommendations that would be great. :)

If you want to go more in-depth, check out the CDC handbook for epidemiology: https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/ss1978/ss1978.pdf

It's pretty long though.
Thanks!
SCiOLY is life

Division C
(First year :) )
Chem Lab | Disease Detectives | Protein Modeling

Divison B 2018
Ecology - 3rd at Regionals
Disease Detectives - 3rd at Regionals
Dynamic Planet - 2nd at Regionals
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

jinforthewin wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:

It's pretty long though.
Thanks!
No problem! If you haven't gone to a competition yet, you should try out the CDC game Solve the Outbreak to get a feel for the event: https://www.cdc.gov/mobile/applications ... b-app.html (obviously, the actual event is going to be harder and isn't going to give you all those helpful clues!)
nmsciencemom
State: NM

Post by nmsciencemom »

Birdmusic wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
My reading of the two boring epidemiology textbooks wasn’t for naught after all :D

I really hope this change means ESs will stop confusing this with microbe mission XP
Oh my god don't get started with that. Proctors must be thinking "hm, the event has the word "disease" in it, so why don't we just make most of the test about the diseases?"
We got pictures of microbes and were asked to identify it. I know this isn’t technically against the rules, but I couldn’t help but go “wait did we walk into microbe?”

Also, the steps to investigating an outbreak in the scioly wiki is different from the one on the cdc website, which one should be used?
Oh you too? So annoying that students were asked to identify vague EMs of cocci and distinguish them (ok one distinguishable as Ebola). This is not Microbes!!! And also not rote-memorization of diseases and symptoms/incubation periods, as stated in in the new handouts. Maybe event supervisors will pay attention...
It is true that in a way it doesn't matter as to the topic, except at Nationals. Nationals always has one of their scenarios on topic (food-borne, environmental), but now maybe topics are no longer a thing, so we can ignore focus on them.

Return to “2019 Study Events”