Fermi Questions C

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by PM2017 »

Hey guys!
As of late, Name and I have been the only two people posting on the Fermi Q's Question Marathon.

Go show it some love!
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

PM2017 wrote:Hey guys!
As of late, Name and I have been the only two people posting on the Fermi Q's Question Marathon.

Go show it some love!
Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to, I have other events I have to work on :(
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

acidbeaker wrote:What are some common conversions/weird units I should know, as someone new to this event?
You'll pretty much need to know any sort of conversion. From what I hear from others, astronomical distances like light years or parsecs are good, since those distances are pretty massive. You should also figure out maybe energy conversions, like kilocalories and Joules. Finally also start off with things at the atomic level, like speeds of electrons and charges, and more. Weird units? If we're talking in terms of like exponentials, http://www5.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/prefix.htm ought to be a good website for those prefixes like yocto and peta. For more obscure units to know, things could go anywhere, but maybe things like Coulombs, Watts, Webers, Farads, Amperes, Lumen, Volts, Pascals, and more.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though, I'm not an expert at fermi ;)
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
linzhiyan
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan »

I don't know if this has been asked before, but how would one go about for studying for this event? To me, it seems like a harder, more mathy version of fast fact. Do the two have some similarities?
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by John Richardsim »

linzhiyan wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before, but how would one go about for studying for this event? To me, it seems like a harder, more mathy version of fast fact. Do the two have some similarities?
They have some similarities in that there is no resources allowed in the event and there is an emphasis on speed (FF speed with recall; Fermi speed with calculation).

I think a good place to start would be to try taking a few old tests and seeing what sorts of questions are asked. Look for common topics. Look for unfamiliar units. Look for things that may be useful to commit to memory rather than having to estimate every time you see it.

Also start asking and trying to answer your own Fermi questions. Do it whenever you get bored throughout the day.
linzhiyan
State: MO

Post by linzhiyan »

John Richardsim wrote:
linzhiyan wrote:I don't know if this has been asked before, but how would one go about for studying for this event? To me, it seems like a harder, more mathy version of fast fact. Do the two have some similarities?
They have some similarities in that there is no resources allowed in the event and there is an emphasis on speed (FF speed with recall; Fermi speed with calculation).

I think a good place to start would be to try taking a few old tests and seeing what sorts of questions are asked. Look for common topics. Look for unfamiliar units. Look for things that may be useful to commit to memory rather than having to estimate every time you see it.

Also start asking and trying to answer your own Fermi questions. Do it whenever you get bored throughout the day.
Cool, thanks!
Lol, I get bored extremely often, so...
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

linzhiyan wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:

Cool, thanks!
Lol, I get bored extremely often, so...
It's actually really funny and surprising how often Fermi-like questions pop up all the time.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Why is Fermi often run at the very beginning of the day, for all teams? I could see that working for something like Disease Detectives, which is often long and time-consuming to grade, but Fermi is very easy to grade. Is it to avoid cheating?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Why is Fermi often run at the very beginning of the day, for all teams? I could see that working for something like Disease Detectives, which is often long and time-consuming to grade, but Fermi is very easy to grade. Is it to avoid cheating?
This is a recent thing, and pretty much just stems from Nationals, who presumably wanted two events in the morning session to even out conflicts more, and none of the other events fit well (e.g. Exp Design room size).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Unome wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Why is Fermi often run at the very beginning of the day, for all teams? I could see that working for something like Disease Detectives, which is often long and time-consuming to grade, but Fermi is very easy to grade. Is it to avoid cheating?
This is a recent thing, and pretty much just stems from Nationals, who presumably wanted two events in the morning session to even out conflicts more, and none of the other events fit well (e.g. Exp Design room size).
Also, this year it isn't scheduled for the impound period. It will run during the six main blocks.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Study Events”