Forensics C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Forensics C

Post by pikachu4919 »

RainbowMammoths wrote:
c21k wrote:Ok wait so the rules say " Each participant may bring an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper that may contain information on both sides"
But each team has two participants. Does this mean we, in total, may have two 8.5” x 11” sheets of paper?
Where did you find the rules? I can't find a link on the SciO wiki.
You can download them online here. Rules are never uploaded to scioly.org because doing so would be considered a violation of Science Olympiad, Inc. copyright. More information on that can be found at http://scioly.org/rules.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
megrimlockawesom
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0

Post by megrimlockawesom »

how does one condense all this info into one sheet?
Ok this is epic 8-)
Events 2018: Battery Buggy (3rd at Nats), Rollercoaster (18th at Nats), Ping Pong (1st at states)
Events 2019: Codebusters, Ping Pong Parachute (2nd at Regionals OVERALL), Thermodynamics
Events 2020: Sounds of Music, Designer Genes, Ping Pong Parachute
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

megrimlockawesom wrote:how does one condense all this info into one sheet?
Ask any of your friends that do A&P :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

Unome wrote:
Ye, small fonts, really narrow margins, but one thing about 4n6 is that although there are so many different topics, you don't necessarily need to put them all on your cheat sheet (i.e. tracks, striations) depending on how much you know about them - for example, if you do lots of biology and/or also happen to do designer genes, you may not necessarily need to include any cheat sheet info on DNA or blood typing.

Making your cheatsheet is really a careful process of making the most out of the space you have in the area. If there's something you're confident you know by heart, then there's no need to put it on your sheet, and that frees up that space for you to put something else that you're maybe not as confident with. But that's up to you and what you know.
Last edited by pikachu4919 on October 16th, 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correcting what I originally meant
Carmel HS (IN) '16

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

MY CABBAGES!
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by Anomaly »

pikachu4919 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Ye, small fonts, really wide margins, but one thing about 4n6 is that although there are so many different topics, you don't necessarily need to put them all on your cheat sheet (i.e. tracks, striations) depending on how much you know about them - for example, if you do lots of biology and/or also happen to do designer genes, you may not necessarily need to include any cheat sheet info on DNA or blood typing.

Making your cheatsheet is really a careful process of making the most out of the space you have in the area. If there's something you're confident you know by heart, then there's no need to put it on your sheet, and that frees up that space for you to put something else that you're maybe not as confident with. But that's up to you and what you know.
Wait why wide margins?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

Anomaly wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
Unome wrote: Ask any of your friends that do A&P :P
Ye, small fonts, really wide margins, but one thing about 4n6 is that although there are so many different topics, you don't necessarily need to put them all on your cheat sheet (i.e. tracks, striations) depending on how much you know about them - for example, if you do lots of biology and/or also happen to do designer genes, you may not necessarily need to include any cheat sheet info on DNA or blood typing.

Wait why wide margins?
I guess I meant narrow, lol. I was thinking more along the lines of widening the space on the page, hehe. Oops.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
mrcb03
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrcb03 »

Person wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
Yes.
What’s weird tho is that in the next line of rule 2.b. it says “This sheet” instead of something like “these sheets.” I guess if you interpret the rule before as each team member bringing a sheet, then it should still be two sheets, not one.

Disclaimer: this is my own opinion and may not reflect what SO, inc. actually intended with their wording. If this is something you want to clear up with them, submit an FAQ or Rule Clarification on soinc.org.
I assume they worded it that way because the previous sentence only referred to a single participant's sheet, and there could technically be just one team member competing.
They clarified this rule; yes each participant may have one sheet of paper each. Therefore giving the team 2 sheets total :D
mrcb03

Post by mrcb03 »

Would anyone be willing to share what they have in terms of pH's for qualitative analysis?

Also what are we supposed to base plastic identifications on? Only two of the forensics labs I've done had plastics, and neither of them provided the same thing (they ended up cancelling the plastics portion at one of them anyway because it was incorrect or unreasonable).

Thanks!
pikachu4919

Post by pikachu4919 »

mrcb03 wrote:Would anyone be willing to share what they have in terms of pH's for qualitative analysis?

Also what are we supposed to base plastic identifications on? Only two of the forensics labs I've done had plastics, and neither of them provided the same thing (they ended up cancelling the plastics portion at one of them anyway because it was incorrect or unreasonable).

Thanks!
pH: the most crucial ones you should remember are that sodium carbonate has a really high pH (should be around 10) and boric acid has a really low pH (usually around 4 or less). Everything else is within a range of a pH of 5-8, which, depending on your litmus/pH paper, may show very similar colors. It may also be important to know that sodium acetate's pH is around 8 in case you need that information to differentiate it from the rest of the sodium compounds.

Plastics: Those should generally be based on density, in which your supervisor, if they put plastics on their test, theoretically should give you a series of solutions with varying densities to help you differentiate those (if they're doing their job correctly). From there on out it's mostly float/sink tests, and if it's pertinent, you may be provided with burn test results, in which the most crucial thing to remember is that PVC will give off a green flame when burned.
Carmel HS (IN) '16

MY CABBAGES!
adriandsouza5404

Post by adriandsouza5404 »

In rule f.i., it says "Students may be asked questions on the different methods of detecting fingerprints and the chemistry behind each of these methods." Is detecting fingerprints the same thing as fingerprint development techniques like powers, and ninhydrin fuming?
Last edited by pikachu4919 on November 22nd, 2018, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use proper methods for citing rules

Return to “2019 Lab Events”