Solar System B

seffnelsus
Division: B
State: CO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by seffnelsus »

2013210 wrote:What are kiplers laws of planetary mosen and where can I find the info?
Kepler’s three laws of planetary motion can be stated as follows: (1) All planets move about the Sun in elliptical orbits, having the Sun as one of the foci. (2) A radius vector joining any planet to the Sun sweeps out equal areas in equal lengths of time. (3) The squares of the sidereal periods (of revolution) of the planets are directly proportional to the cubes of their mean distances from the Sun.

I do recommend looking further on online resources, or even books of some sort, as I don't actually study the Solar System myself.
2019 Events: Herpetology, Road Scholar, Elastic Launched Glider, Experimental Design :D
2018 Events: Herpetology, Thermodynamics, Ecology, Crime Busters ;)
debban

Post by debban »

Hi All,

I am very new to Science Olympiad. At first I assumed from the name "Solar System" that the whole solar system needs to be studied. But as I read more about it, doesn't look like the case. So, can anyone confirm that the focus this year are the moons and other rocky bodies only? Also, by other rocky bodies they mean only the dwarf plantes, and other specific small bodies listed in the rulebook?

Thanks
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

debban wrote:Hi All,

I am very new to Science Olympiad. At first I assumed from the name "Solar System" that the whole solar system needs to be studied. But as I read more about it, doesn't look like the case. So, can anyone confirm that the focus this year are the moons and other rocky bodies only? Also, by other rocky bodies they mean only the dwarf plantes, and other specific small bodies listed in the rulebook?

Thanks
Yes, the rules manual should be your primary source for figuring out what the event is about. You should only be responsible for the bodies listed under 3.b.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

How Much Might we want to know about Trojan asteroids and the other asteroids in the Asteroid Belt? :?
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

Raphael wrote:How Much Might we want to know about Trojan asteroids and the other asteroids in the Asteroid Belt? :?
Definitely look for all the major asteroids first, and put a good deal of information about it compared to the more minor asteroids. Dedicate a modest amount at least, but don't go over the top.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
BreeThePotato
State: CO

Post by BreeThePotato »

ferociousbus493 wrote:Hey, I am new to solar system, and I am wondering if anybody has any leads on were to get my information... Specific sources and stuff. The best I have been finding is sources from NASA.
You could search for the specific information you are looking for online, but make sure it is from a notable website. Or you could just use normal textbooks which will most likely have the information you are looking for.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

BreeThePotato wrote:
ferociousbus493 wrote:Hey, I am new to solar system, and I am wondering if anybody has any leads on were to get my information... Specific sources and stuff. The best I have been finding is sources from NASA.
You could search for the specific information you are looking for online, but make sure it is from a notable website. Or you could just use normal textbooks which will most likely have the information you are looking for.
I agree the first thing to do is to look for specific information. To be more exact, you should look at info from the rules and search it. NASA is also a great resources, and you can ask teammates, coaches, or others here if you're unsure if a website has good/useful information.

Textbooks can be tricky. They usually contain a lot of information and don't always make a lot of sense when studying independently / in a small group (at least I've found). Also, textbooks cost money. Some like them, but I'm not sure of any recommended ones off the top of my head (others would have to suggest that is what I mean).

Have you looked at the national website page for Solar System? It is https://www.soinc.org/solar-system-b. In addition to the rules, it gives many useful examples for resources and organizing information, such as the webinar (the first link on that website...did nobody post this / I forgot??!??!!?), the links list, and the sample test (note, I believe the test was for last year, so it's NOT up to date with the rules...but it still gives an idea as to what tests are like). For reference, the webinar is like a summary of what the event is about, an ES/experienced person reads through the rules with you to give you an idea for what the rules mean / what to look out for to focus studying.

Hope some of this helps people!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

Hey everyone,

dkarkada and I ran Solar System together at this weekend's UT Invitational. In case any of you are interested, here's the test and the key, which can also be found on his beautiful website.

As with the Astronomy test, I am personally quite happy with how the scores turned out. A lot of teams scored extremely highly on the matching/MC sections (perfect scores or near perfect scores), and many teams got through the entire test without any problems (so it didn't seem to be too long either). In terms of actual numbers:

Maximum possible score: 200
Mean: 91.6
Standard Deviation: 42.5
Sample Size: 21

As always, if you notice any mistakes or have any questions about the test or key, please let us know! I forgot how much I loved Solar System until I wrote this test.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
rahulram
Division: B

Post by rahulram »

anyone have 2019 solar system sheets that i can base my notes off of? while scioly seems to have some good info, it isnt applicable to 2019 because this year has more on dwarves and moons... im new to solar anyways so does anybody have notesheets that i can use?
from,
Rahul Ram
Name
Division: C

Post by Name »

rahulram wrote:anyone have 2019 solar system sheets that i can base my notes off of? while scioly seems to have some good info, it isnt applicable to 2019 because this year has more on dwarves and moons... im new to solar anyways so does anybody have notesheets that i can use?
Honestly you should make your own sheets. Google is enough to find most things, then take some tests to find out what else you need
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner

Return to “2019 Study Events”