Chemistry Lab C

Dinoswarleafs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

It also says that we're only messing with buffers at state level and beyond. Are we just messing with strong acids/bases mostly for the competition?
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

It also says that we're only messing with buffers at state level and beyond. Are we just messing with strong acids/bases mostly for the competition?
Probably not -- I got an easy 5 on the AP exam, and I decided to take some tests for fun, and I missed basically all of the physical properties portion of the tests.

Not to mention the majority of people doing this event have either taken, or will take AP Chem, and I'm sure a decent number will get 5s.

As for your other questions, I would not be able to help you since I'm not taking this event.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
PeptoBismol
Division: C

Post by PeptoBismol »

I am studying for chemistry lab and circuit lab, and I have found that some stuff overlaps. For example, there is electrical resistance for both events, and magnetism in chemistry lab is related to electric field / electric charge / Coulomb's law concepts in circuit lab.

How exactly do the concepts of resistance and magnetism differ between events?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Resistance and magnetism in Chem are more general topics. You would need to know just what each means, and how to calculate it. Honestly, PP topics are loosely defined, so prepare for everything and more.

In Circuit Lab, these are covered in more detail and with equations! :D :D :D :D
PeptoBismol

Post by PeptoBismol »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:Do you think if I got a 5 on AP Chem I'm good for the material I need to know? How do typical test questions and tasks compare to the difficulty of the AP test? Most of it seems pretty basic besides some weird properties we didn't cover like magnetism. I suppose I should memorize the kAs of the acids listed.

Getting a 5 on the ap chemistry exam is a good start, but you'll definitely have to study a lot more for chemistry lab. You should prepare for test questions that are harder than most AP questions. Keep in mind that so many people have taken / are taking AP chemistry and those who have taken it have likely gotten a 4 or 5 on the test.

Another thing is that the AP chemistry test gives way too much time and chemistry lab gives very little time. You not only have to know how to do the problems, but also how to do them quickly. Practice is definitely key.

As for your last question, I can almost guarantee there will be weak acid and base questions, as there are weak acids and bases in the rules. pH, titration, etc. will probably be tested at competitions.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

A 5 on the AP Chem - most people in SciOly get that. Above and beyond is what you need.

Prepare for everything. Weak acids will be covered at all competitions.
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Jacobi wrote: Weak acids will be covered at all competitions.
Idk why I asked this T_T oops

What are you guys putting on your reference sheet for acids & bases? I put the ions on the rule page and a table of Kas (if weak) and uses of the acids and bases they listed. I was also going to put a list of indicators but it says that the ranges will be provided so that seems pretty useless. I don't really understand what extra stuff there is for titrations if we're not doing buffers until state. Do you guys usually put a ton of stuff on the sheet you get to bring?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
Jacobi wrote: Weak acids will be covered at all competitions.
Idk why I asked this T_T oops

What are you guys putting on your reference sheet for acids & bases? I put the ions on the rule page and a table of Kas (if weak) and uses of the acids and bases they listed. I was also going to put a list of indicators but it says that the ranges will be provided so that seems pretty useless. I don't really understand what extra stuff there is for titrations if we're not doing buffers until state. Do you guys usually put a ton of stuff on the sheet you get to bring?
I am going to put:
  • Ka table
  • Uses and properties table
  • A few basic equations
Put on everything you know you don't know you know.
SochiaK
State: TN

Post by SochiaK »

Which properties are you guys learning for acids/bases?
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

SochiaK wrote:Which properties are you guys learning for acids/bases?
I would go to sites like pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov and get everything on there. And of course, Wikipedia.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”