UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

MattChina wrote:How much of electrostatics do we needto know
At least stuff like Coulomb's law, how to calculate electric fields, and what voltage is
BasuSiddha23
Division: Grad
Been thanked: 0

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

Does anyone have an idea of what types of electrical control devices we need to know about as explained in 3. c. vii.?

I was wondering if we might need to know about switches, relays, and solenoids too. Also, I was wondering what everyone is doing to study for the simple measurements, constructions, and configurations of a circuit and individual components as explained in 3. c. viii.

Thanks
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what types of electrical control devices we need to know about as explained in 3. c. vii.?

I was wondering if we might need to know about switches, relays, and solenoids too. Also, I was wondering what everyone is doing to study for the simple measurements, constructions, and configurations of a circuit and individual components as explained in 3. c. viii.

Thanks
On the first, I would study mainly switches and transistors, although anything and everything could be on the test (especially given that it's a big-binder event).
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Jacobi wrote:
BasuSiddha23 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what types of electrical control devices we need to know about as explained in 3. c. vii.?

Thanks
On the first, I would study mainly switches and transistors, although anything and everything could be on the test (especially given that it's a big-binder event).
Ths issue here is that transistors are both semiconductor devices and nonlinear... I'm somewhat confused about what is on the scope of this test.

Also, inductance isn't allowed, so I doubt there will be solenoids.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Does anyone have any advice on how to design/run the practical portion? In particular, what tasks are common and how many is typical?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

antoine_ego wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to design/run the practical portion? In particular, what tasks are common and how many is typical?
I haven't been to any tournaments, but I would expect problems involving applications of Kirchhoff's laws to determine resistances/capacitances. In addition, designing a circuit on a breadboard to meet certain specifications, or troubleshooting a circuit could all be possibilities.
Pastaman202
State: IL

Post by Pastaman202 »

Jacobi wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:Does anyone have any advice on how to design/run the practical portion? In particular, what tasks are common and how many is typical?
I haven't been to any tournaments, but I would expect problems involving applications of Kirchhoff's laws to determine resistances/capacitances. In addition, designing a circuit on a breadboard to meet certain specifications, or troubleshooting a circuit could all be possibilities.
At the one competition I have been to, we were asked to find resistance using band codes. I would expect things like how to use multi-meters in the future.
Crimesolver
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Crimesolver »

Can someone explain this to me? The answer is 2 amps but I have no idea how to get that answer. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FDlON7 ... sp=sharing
Keep on going :)
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

I'm pretty new to this topic as well,
for the practical, do we just need to know how to use a multimeter or is there more.. will we have to calculate stuff from the made circuit?
also, are there any old practice tests for division b. I can only find ones from division C
thank you...
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

neerja.shah wrote:I'm pretty new to this topic as well,
for the practical, do we just need to know how to use a multimeter or is there more.. will we have to calculate stuff from the made circuit?
also, are there any old practice tests for division b. I can only find ones from division C
thank you...
Try looking for Shock Value tests. The practical portion is whatever the event supervisor makes of it.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”