Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by dxu46 »

Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:On a related note to the Ammonoidea problem a week ago, why does Superorder Selachimorpha have specific genuses and is numbered? Furthermore, why is Genus Carcharocles numbered when it has a specific species under it? The note at the bottom of the fossils list says that "numbers indicate that members of that taxon rank should be identifiable to that level." Because genuses under Selachimorpha are numbered, doesn't that mean that the 52) Superorder Selachimorpha is redundant?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're able to ID them anyway, it's a moot point.
Our coach strictly adheres to the list, so for testing this week it would be 50-56 and 67-81. What should I say?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dxu46 wrote:
Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:On a related note to the Ammonoidea problem a week ago, why does Superorder Selachimorpha have specific genuses and is numbered? Furthermore, why is Genus Carcharocles numbered when it has a specific species under it? The note at the bottom of the fossils list says that "numbers indicate that members of that taxon rank should be identifiable to that level." Because genuses under Selachimorpha are numbered, doesn't that mean that the 52) Superorder Selachimorpha is redundant?
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're able to ID them anyway, it's a moot point.
Our coach strictly adheres to the list, so for testing this week it would be 50-56 and 67-81. What should I say?
No idea. The decision is his/her concern, and not all that relevant to you if you already know them all.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:Question: How does one distinguish Carcharodon and Carcharocles?
The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.
But how do you distinguish if you're just given pictures?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Carcharodon teeth are straighter and slightly narrower. The teeth are by far the most preserved part of Carcharocles megalodon, so this should work in the majority of cases (unless you just have a vertebra).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ScottMaurer19
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Unome wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: The most notable difference is size. Carcharocles is huge, like really huge. That said, I can't really think of another way.
Carcharodon teeth are straighter and slightly narrower. The teeth are by far the most preserved part of Carcharocles megalodon, so this should work in the majority of cases (unless you just have a vertebra).
I also remember seeing (don't quote me on this as it was a quick google search months ago) that there was something to do with the serrations as well as the shape (that Unome mentioned)
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Kyanite
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

You can tell the difference between the two if you are given the teeth by looking at the cutting edges, Carcharodon lacks serrations on the cutting edge while Carcharocles has these serrations on the cutting edge. Further the teeth of Carcharocles have a space above the root where dentine is exposed (also called a bourlette) while Carcharodon lacks this feature.
mtownley

Post by mtownley »

Unome wrote:For those interested, UGA posted their invitational tests, which include the Fossils test that I wrote.

Link to tests folder

The high score was around 70 points, with the typical quick drop-off near the top.
Thank you for this! I am helping my son's SciOly team this year and am grateful for all the help!
ethanm13

Post by ethanm13 »

Anyone cracking up googling "Boring fossils"? LOL

Return to “2019 Study Events”