Endothermic Task

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Endothermic Task

Post by TheSquaad »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Our team is currently thinking of using a Peltier cooler and detecting the change in the heat with a thermistor. However, I can't figure out whether this would be endothermic. The cooler definitely loses heat so by definition, the thermistor touching it would be gaining heat (so endothermic). Would this be valid or is too much of a stretch?
Our team did that exact process last year, and nobody questioned it at the 5 competitions we went to
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

TheSquaad wrote:
mpnobivucyxtz wrote:Our team is currently thinking of using a Peltier cooler and detecting the change in the heat with a thermistor. However, I can't figure out whether this would be endothermic. The cooler definitely loses heat so by definition, the thermistor touching it would be gaining heat (so endothermic). Would this be valid or is too much of a stretch?
Our team did that exact process last year, and nobody questioned it at the 5 competitions we went to
This is what we're doing.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
nmurali2002

Post by nmurali2002 »

I'm trying to find a good PTC thermistor, but everything I've seen has an ideal operating temperature of around 25 degrees Celsius. Anyone have a thermistor with a lower ideal temperature? (or a site that lets you sort by curie point).
erico.vert
Division: C
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Post by erico.vert »

I've seen a lot of peltier devices online but they all say they run at 12 volts. Since this year we can only use 9 volts, would the device still operate just not as well, or would I have to go digging for a 9v one. Also, if someone knows of a 9v one, could you link it please? Much appreciated
cheese
Division: C

Post by cheese »

Or buy a 5v peltier cooler: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1331
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage
nmurali2002

Post by nmurali2002 »

The rules say "initiates the next action as a result of the reduction in temperature". I suppose that you could say the reduction in temperature of your heat sink causes the increase in temperature of your thermistor?
annabelle0308

Post by annabelle0308 »

Would a baking soda/vinegar balloon count as “endothermic”? I’m not talking about the action where you need to blow up a balloon 20cm, but is the reaction between vinegar and baking soda itself considered endothermic?
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

annabelle0308 wrote:Would a baking soda/vinegar balloon count as “endothermic”? I’m not talking about the action where you need to blow up a balloon 20cm, but is the reaction between vinegar and baking soda itself considered endothermic?
4bii specifies that for the endothermic action, the next action must be initiated due to a reduction in temperature. A baking soda/vinegar reaction inflates a balloon by producing gas, not by reducing temperature. So using that as an endothermic process would not be legal.
Chikoo10

Post by Chikoo10 »

Does anyone have a link to a good PTC Thermistor that will work with the peltier device?
DarthBuilder
State: IL

Post by DarthBuilder »

I was wondering about that as well
Deleted

Return to “Mission Possible C”