Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Anomaly »

linzhiyan wrote:Is it more beneficial to have words or pictures on the cheat sheet? Last year, one of my teammates had a lot of pictures, but in order to fit pictures, they had to make it super small and it was basically impossible to read most of the information. Would words be a more efficient way to make the cheat sheet? (Words, as in words words, not Microsoft Words...)
I always use a mixture of both, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of one side will have pictures, the rest being words
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
defiantkiwi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by defiantkiwi »

Hi everyone
I am new to Science Olympiad and the forums, so I don't really know how this works.

I have just gotten selected for Anatomy and Physiology B.

I am a bit confused on where to start, since there is so much information I need to cover.

Where should I be starting? What should I start working on first?

Also, how should I organize the information on the cheat paper? What is the most important information in general that should be included?

Thank you so much!
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Anomaly »

defiantkiwi wrote:Hi everyone
I am new to Science Olympiad and the forums, so I don't really know how this works.

I am a bit confused on where to start, since there is so much information I need to cover.

Also, how should I organize the information on the cheat paper? What is the most important information in general that should be included?

Thank you so much!
If you haven't yet, I'd suggest looking at the rulebook. It has all the topics that the test is supposed to cover. For information, a good place to start is the training handout for each of the systems. The training handouts for this year aren't out yet, but the old ones I believe are on soinc.org.

In regards to the cheat sheet, I make sure that there's a mixture of both pictures and words. Approximately 3/4 of one side of my notesheet will have pictures, the rest will be words. Like making any other notesheet, you want to have the smallest font you can possibly read, with almost nonexistent margins. Put down any information that you're bound to not remember. The cheat sheet is NOT a place that you can simply put anything and everything; for competitions, especially higher level competitions, you'll be pressed for time completing the exam, and it would be beneficial to know a lot of information of the top of your head instead of searching around the notesheet and finding the information.
Medal/Ribbon Count
y o i n k s
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

Anomaly wrote:

Thank you so much!
If you haven't yet, I'd suggest looking at the rulebook. It has all the topics that the test is supposed to cover. For information, a good place to start is the training handout for each of the systems. The training handouts for this year aren't out yet, but the old ones I believe are on soinc.org.
I learned a lot of what I'm doing from this year from experience last year. I recommend that you look over some tests to see what you need to know for the event.

In regards to the cheat sheet, I make sure that there's a mixture of both pictures and words. Approximately 3/4 of one side of my notesheet will have pictures, the rest will be words. Like making any other notesheet, you want to have the smallest font you can possibly read, with almost nonexistent margins. Put down any information that you're bound to not remember. The cheat sheet is NOT a place that you can simply put anything and everything; for competitions, especially higher level competitions, you'll be pressed for time completing the exam, and it would be beneficial to know a lot of information of the top of your head instead of searching around the notesheet and finding the information.
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

cbrant554 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

Thank you so much!
I learned most of what I need to study and know from doing tests that people have done so look through the tests that were done a couple of years ago. Do the same categories that are being tested this year
KRovito

Post by KRovito »

Has anyone purchased the CDs from online with information? Are they worth the price?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Anomaly »

KRovito wrote:Has anyone purchased the CDs from online with information? Are they worth the price?
I don’t know about others, but I personally used the CD a lot in the past few years (bought one in 2015 and have been using now the same one since then). I don’t know how beneficial it is to others, and I don’t know if you should take my word for it because I always sucked at this event lol.
Medal/Ribbon Count
y o i n k s
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by venules »

KRovito wrote:Has anyone purchased the CDs from online with information? Are they worth the price?
You can definitely do well in the event without them, but official CDs from the store may have previous national tests on them which some may find beneficial.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
Rubix1353
State: TX

Post by Rubix1353 »

Do you guys have any recommendations for textbooks for Division C?
daycd

Post by daycd »

Return to “2019 Study Events”