Geologic Mapping C

Snayhill
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by Snayhill »

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to start making a binder or what to start on
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Snayhill wrote:Does anyone have any recomendations on how to start making a binder or what to start on
You could check out the wiki, check out a past test and start trying to understand the questions, and/or start looking up info about every section of the rules.
Qu€€nMon€y

Post by Qu€€nMon€y »

Hey guys
I got placed into geologic mapping in my school tryouts and I have no clue where and how to start studying. Can anyone offer good sites to help me study? Also, do the soinc cds help?
Medal count: 1 :(
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Qu€€nMon€y wrote:Hey guys
I got placed into geologic mapping in my school tryouts and I have no clue where and how to start studying. Can anyone offer good sites to help me study? Also, do the soinc cds help?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:You could check out the wiki, check out a past test and start trying to understand the questions, and/or start looking up info about every section of the rules.
No clue about the CDs though. They're generally helpful, but I'm not sure about the Geologic Mapping one.
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

Qu€€nMon€y wrote:Hey guys
Last year's dynamic planet covers A LOT of what you need to know, so you can find that in the wiki here. Thoroughly going through plate tectonics covers most of the geology that's tested. You can test your mapping by taking practice tests, and then looking up Youtube on what you don't know. And, as always, read the wiki.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
Flyingfish

Post by Flyingfish »

Can anyone help me understand what a stereonet is? The rules say to bring one with tracing paper and pin, but I am just really confused in general about what it is/how to use it. From what I understand so far, it creates some type of projection, but how do I get one and how do I use it? Does anyone have any good resources on this?

Thanks!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Flyingfish wrote:Can anyone help me understand what a stereonet is? The rules say to bring one with tracing paper and pin, but I am just really confused in general about what it is/how to use it. From what I understand so far, it creates some type of projection, but how do I get one and how do I use it? Does anyone have any good resources on this?

Thanks!
A stereographic net is a piece of gridded paper that helps you project a sphere (the Earth) to a plane (a map).

Some hepful links:
http://maps.unomaha.edu/Maher/GEOL3300/lab/lab5.html
https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/fileadmin/D ... nets_1.pdf
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Flyingfish wrote:Can anyone help me understand what a stereonet is? The rules say to bring one with tracing paper and pin, but I am just really confused in general about what it is/how to use it. From what I understand so far, it creates some type of projection, but how do I get one and how do I use it? Does anyone have any good resources on this?

Thanks!
A stereographic net is a piece of gridded paper that helps you project a sphere (the Earth) to a plane (a map).

Some hepful links:
http://maps.unomaha.edu/Maher/GEOL3300/lab/lab5.html
https://www.see.leeds.ac.uk/fileadmin/D ... nets_1.pdf
I remember that second link, I found it really useful! There are also two posts I made on the first page about this.
See: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=12238#p359155 (pointing out youtube has lots of great examples for the process looks like *in practice*)
See: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=12238#p359151 ("Printing off stereonet" and "Other things you'll need" for examples of what to get)

I'm of the view that you shouldn't get all flustered with "projections" and all the vocab at first. It IS the fundamental concept and helps you think about maps and such, but I hope this helps on the "where to get it and use it" side. You might still have to know some minimal vocab like "plotting a plane with a strike and dip", but I think those are a lot more doable starting out.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Chikoo10

Post by Chikoo10 »

What is meant by "major structural elements" in the rules? What topics would this cover?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Chikoo10 wrote:What is meant by "major structural elements" in the rules? What topics would this cover?
Fantastic question! I think I went into this a little (like just one bullet) on the last page when discussing that there are "different geologic structures" and how you have to think about them *geometrically*: viewtopic.php?f=285&t=12238#p362289

There I discuss how different "structures" exist in geology (e.g. folds, faults, beds of rock, etc), and you can characterize different features or parts of these structures by their *geometry* (into planes, lines, and points). Unless I'm mistaken, the different geometric features are typically called "structural elements". I found folds were a good way of showing how a common geologic structure can be broken up into these different parts (you can search for "fold elements", "fold structure", etc and hopefully see examples and diagrams of this). Beyond this, I believe "geology structural elements" can be googled.

Are these explanations confusing / do you still not know what to look for? I wasn't sure, did this explain "what topics would this cover"? Hope this helps!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2019 Study Events”