End Task

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: End Task

Post by PM2017 »

chessbucket wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
saathvik02 wrote:How are you guys planning on raising the platform?
I'm not an expert, but I would think that a scissor jack or a hydraulic jack would work. Such a hydraulic jack might use gravity + an electrically controlled pump. Thoughts?
KISS: keep it simple and silly
I don't believe there's supposed to be an "and" there my friend.
Changes the meaning quite a bit. haha
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jacobi »

chessbucket wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
saathvik02 wrote:How are you guys planning on raising the platform?
I'm not an expert, but I would think that a scissor jack or a hydraulic jack would work. Such a hydraulic jack might use gravity + an electrically controlled pump. Thoughts?
KISS: keep it simple and silly
You're right.
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

question about the lifting of the platform, does it have to lift the full 20cm before leaving the outside of the device dimensions, or can it rise some of that above the actual device? im assuming the first one, but i just want to check to be sure
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:question about the lifting of the platform, does it have to lift the full 20cm before leaving the outside of the device dimensions, or can it rise some of that above the actual device? im assuming the first one, but i just want to check to be sure
I had the same concerns. I'd say an FAQ is necessary here.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
beaverkid

Post by beaverkid »

I think 4.c. answers this "the device must raise a... platform... a vertical distance of at least 20.0 cm before it becomes the highest point of the device."
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

beaverkid wrote:I think 4.c. answers this "the device must raise a... platform... a vertical distance of at least 20.0 cm before it becomes the highest point of the device."
Agreed. Either way, remember these three things:
Smart Advice wrote:Prepare for the worst in every event (supervisor).
Smart Advice wrote:Keep everything as simple as possible.
Smart Advice wrote:When all else fails, file an FAQ.
djturner

Post by djturner »

Does the final height of the battery and platform when it becomes the "highest point of the device" need to remain within the 60cm height limitation? I would think so, since it is part of the operation, and 3a states that "During operation, device dimensions can be no greater than... 60.0 cm (H)."
Last edited by djturner on November 14th, 2018, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

djturner wrote:Does the final height of the battery and platform when it becomes the "highest point of the device" need to remain within the 60cm height limitation? I would think so, since it is part of the operation, and 3a states that "During operation, device dimensions can be no greater than 60.0 cm (D) x 60.0 cm (W) x 60.0 cm (H)."
Two things:
1. Quote as little as possible from the rules; I think there are some copyright issues.

2. Read 6.b.i.
It says that the final action is excluded from the exceeding the 60 cm penalty.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

PM2017 wrote:
djturner wrote:Does the final height of the battery and platform when it becomes the "highest point of the device" need to remain within the 60cm height limitation? I would think so, since it is part of the operation, and 3a states that "During operation, device dimensions can be no greater than 60.0 cm (D) x 60.0 cm (W) x 60.0 cm (H)."
Two things:
1. Quote as little as possible from the rules; I think there are some copyright issues.

2. Read 6.b.i.
My understanding is that brief quotes are acceptable as long as you are acknowledging them as quotes (rather than taking credit).

I would agree with this interpretation. However, I would also comment that there are some complex issues around when the device dimensions should be measured, whether they can change during operation, and when you incur the 6.b.i. penalty vs. the 6.c. penalty. These have not been resolved, although I have several submitted FAQs and I know they are being actively discussed.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
Two things:

2. Read 6.b.i.
My understanding is that brief quotes are acceptable as long as you are acknowledging them as quotes (rather than taking credit).

I would agree with this interpretation. However, I would also comment that there are some complex issues around when the device dimensions should be measured, whether they can change during operation, and when you incur the 6.b.i. penalty vs. the 6.c. penalty. These have not been resolved, although I have several submitted FAQs and I know they are being actively discussed.
I spoke about an hour too soon. The FAQs about device dimensions have been answered.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Mission Possible C”