End Task

C8H10N4O2!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: End Task

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

Does the actual part of the device that lifts the platform have to be free-standing, or can it be guided?
I'm doing a scissor lift, and its not going as straight up as I would like. Can I have a small wall put in to help guide the lift part up if it never touches the platform or the battery?
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

C8H10N4O2! wrote:Does the actual part of the device that lifts the platform have to be free-standing, or can it be guided?
I'm doing a scissor lift, and its not going as straight up as I would like. Can I have a small wall put in to help guide the lift part up if it never touches the platform or the battery?
From what I read, your lifting mechanism does not have to be freestanding. We’re planning on using rails to guide the superstructure under the platform.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

I'd like your guys' opinions on this:

Does standard include rechargeable 9v batteries? My rechargeable 9V battery seems to be lighter than my nondischargeable 9v batteries.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

PM2017 wrote:I'd like your guys' opinions on this:

Does standard include rechargeable 9v batteries? My rechargeable 9V battery seems to be lighter than my nondischargeable 9v batteries.
Personally, I'd say they are standard, but maybe you should submit an FAQ.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

PM2017 wrote:I'd like your guys' opinions on this:

I'd go with the heavier batteries either way. They're less likely to fall.
annabelle0308
Been thanked: 0

Post by annabelle0308 »

The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

annabelle0308 wrote:The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?
I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

PM2017 wrote:
annabelle0308 wrote:The Construction Parameters section letter c states that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points...." Does this mean that you MUST include the Final Action in your device? Or could you possibly make a machine using only the starting action and Scorable Actions?
I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.
I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

bearasauras wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?
Last year it did, but this year the rules do not state that tiering is a consequence of not following construction parameters as far as I can tell. Instead I think you would just get 0 points for all of your actions
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
PM2017 wrote: I believe you get tiered if you don't successfully accomplish the final action. Essentially, if you have a start task, all 12 actions, accurate chemical clock and 30x30x30 box, but no final action, you still lose to a team that only has a start task and successful final task.
Last year it did, but this year the rules do not state that tiering is a consequence of not following construction parameters as far as I can tell. Instead I think you would just get 0 points for all of your actions
This is by no means official nor does it represent the opinion of any of the organizations that I represent. That said:
I am not so sure these interpretations are correct. 3.c. is stating that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points". I would argue that as long as the team intends to complete the Final Action as shown by the ASL, then they would earn points for all the tasks even if the final task didn't work for some reason. However, if they didnt even "attempt" the final task in their device, then I can see how the argument could be made to not award any points for any of the preceding tasks.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “Mission Possible C”