Magnet Task

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Magnet Task

Post by Unome » September 3rd, 2018, 7:16 pm

See rule 4.b.xii

Similar to last year's Start Task.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Nagooyen
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: October 5th, 2018, 11:09 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Magnet activates mouse trap activating lever system

Post by Nagooyen » November 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am

If our magnet drops onto a mouse trap, would it be legal if technically the magnet initiates the next action by activating a mouse trap which activates a lever system? Can we use a mouse trap to activate a lever system?

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4265
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Magnet activates mouse trap activating lever system

Post by Unome » November 2nd, 2018, 12:05 pm

Nagooyen wrote:If our magnet drops onto a mouse trap, would it be legal if technically the magnet initiates the next action by activating a mouse trap which activates a lever system? Can we use a mouse trap to activate a lever system?
I would recommend you word your ASL something like this:

- ... causes magnet to fall
- Falling magnet activates a mousetrap. (this would be a non-scorable action)
- Mousetrap activates a 1st class lever, which activates a 2nd class level...

Alternatively, a mousetrap is a lever, so you could skip the extra step entirely.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Magnet Task

Post by PM2017 » November 21st, 2018, 5:52 pm

When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

I'm not sure that the rules would count this as a successful task, since it is not necessarily the magnetic object that is triggering the next task.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 418
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Magnet Task

Post by nicholasmaurer » November 21st, 2018, 6:49 pm

PM2017 wrote:When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

I'm not sure that the rules would count this as a successful task, since it is not necessarily the magnetic object that is triggering the next task.
I think this is very borderline. I would recommend against it.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 178
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Magnet Task

Post by terence.tan » November 23rd, 2018, 6:51 am

nicholasmaurer wrote:
PM2017 wrote:When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

I'm not sure that the rules would count this as a successful task, since it is not necessarily the magnetic object that is triggering the next task.
I think this is very borderline. I would recommend against it.
i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 418
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Magnet Task

Post by nicholasmaurer » November 23rd, 2018, 8:37 am

terence.tan wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
PM2017 wrote:When it says that the magnetic object must initiate the next task, do you think it counts if I have a little container of baking soda with a magnet embedded in it, such that the whole container falls when the other magnet is removed?

I'm not sure that the rules would count this as a successful task, since it is not necessarily the magnetic object that is triggering the next task.
I think this is very borderline. I would recommend against it.
i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules
4.b.xii states the falling magnetic object must initiate the next action. It sounds to me as if the baking soda is being used to start the next action via a chemical reaction. Since the baking soda isn’t the magnetic object, I think it’s likely to be questioned by supervisors. It would depend partially on the exact design and the wording of the ASL.

In contrast, if the weight of the container triggered the next action, I think this would be legal.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 1365
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Magnet Task

Post by windu34 » November 23rd, 2018, 4:46 pm

nicholasmaurer wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
I think this is very borderline. I would recommend against it.
i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules
4.b.xii states the falling magnetic object must initiate the next action. It sounds to me as if the baking soda is being used to start the next action via a chemical reaction. Since the baking soda isn’t the magnetic object, I think it’s likely to be questioned by supervisors. It would depend partially on the exact design and the wording of the ASL.

In contrast, if the weight of the container triggered the next action, I think this would be legal.
Would you not argue that the magnet falling is initiating the next action by providing the gravitational force to combine the compounds to start the chemical reaction, which is the next task?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 522
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Enjoying College! :D
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Magnet Task

Post by PM2017 » November 23rd, 2018, 7:37 pm

windu34 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
terence.tan wrote: i dont see whats wrong with doing this. Can you explain how this could be not allowed in the rules
4.b.xii states the falling magnetic object must initiate the next action. It sounds to me as if the baking soda is being used to start the next action via a chemical reaction. Since the baking soda isn’t the magnetic object, I think it’s likely to be questioned by supervisors. It would depend partially on the exact design and the wording of the ASL.

In contrast, if the weight of the container triggered the next action, I think this would be legal.
Would you not argue that the magnet falling is initiating the next action by providing the gravitational force to combine the compounds to start the chemical reaction, which is the next task?
That's likely what I would have argued, but it's still rather iffy.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 418
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Location: Solon, OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Magnet Task

Post by nicholasmaurer » November 23rd, 2018, 8:36 pm

PM2017 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
nicholasmaurer wrote:
4.b.xii states the falling magnetic object must initiate the next action. It sounds to me as if the baking soda is being used to start the next action via a chemical reaction. Since the baking soda isn’t the magnetic object, I think it’s likely to be questioned by supervisors. It would depend partially on the exact design and the wording of the ASL.

In contrast, if the weight of the container triggered the next action, I think this would be legal.
Would you not argue that the magnet falling is initiating the next action by providing the gravitational force to combine the compounds to start the chemical reaction, which is the next task?
That's likely what I would have argued, but it's still rather iffy.
Again, it depends on the exact execution and the wording of the ASL. But it would make me nervous as a coach based on the information I have available.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Locked

Return to “Mission Possible C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests