Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 »

dxu46 wrote:
seffnelsus wrote:Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.
Study by doing tests. IIRC there's this one set that has explanations as it goes (I think it centers around the Engelwood CO quad?) and it has multiple lessons with practice problems under it. Looking out of the window is good, try to picture a map in your head and estimate how far you're traveling.
Also, a good way to study is by making tests and then doing them. It's fun because you want your competitors to have a hard time, but since you'll be doing the test, it's kind of a win-lose situation.
james4340
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by james4340 »

Does anyone know if you can bring an atlas into the competition?
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

james4340 wrote:Does anyone know if you can bring an atlas into the competition?
I think you can pretty much bring whatever you want into the competition as long as it can go in the three rings of the binder with all of your reference material in it.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

james4340 wrote:Does anyone know if you can bring an atlas into the competition?
Can but probably shouldn't, as they are of no use and they just take time away from test taking.
Anapolis
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Anapolis »

dxu46 wrote:@anyone who went to nats last year and did road

What were the satellite map questions like? Did they closely follow the rules, and what were the actual maps like?
I dont think there were any satellite questions but ngl i have short term memory loss.... i remember it being a pretty standard test, kind of easy tho (dont know if i can say that)
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)
ferociousbus493

Post by ferociousbus493 »

Anapolis wrote:

What were the satellite map questions like? Did they closely follow the rules, and what were the actual maps like?
I dont think there were any satellite questions but ngl i have short term memory loss.... i remember it being a pretty standard test, kind of easy tho (dont know if i can say that)
Hello, sorry Dxu that I have not responded to your earlier question... I remember it basically like a normal Road Scholar test just maybe a little harder in some situations.
Anapolis
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Anapolis »

ferociousbus493 wrote:
Anapolis wrote:

Hello, sorry Dxu that I have not responded to your earlier question... I remember it basically like a normal Road Scholar test just maybe a little harder in some situations.
i feel like the map drawing was kinda tricky, incorporated azimuths, bearings, and things other than just symbols.
(n)
crime 5
road 19 (oof)
(s/n)
fast facts 2/11
 rocks 2/6
 road 7/6
crime 2/3
widi 2/6
wright stuff (lol only did invies)
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Anapolis wrote:
ferociousbus493 wrote:
Anapolis wrote: I dont think there were any satellite questions but ngl i have short term memory loss.... i remember it being a pretty standard test, kind of easy tho (dont know if i can say that)
i feel like the map drawing was kinda tricky, incorporated azimuths, bearings, and things other than just symbols.
That's a normal map drawing (or at least in my state and region), don't worry.
ccandy2023
Division: B
State: MN

Post by ccandy2023 »

Anapolis wrote:
ferociousbus493 wrote:
Anapolis wrote: I dont think there were any satellite questions but ngl i have short term memory loss.... i remember it being a pretty standard test, kind of easy tho (dont know if i can say that)
I went to nats last year, they barely mentioned satellite maps but its definitely good to know it though. :)
Chippewa Science Olympiad
2016-2019
<3
Nationals 2018 at CSU
ccandy2023
Division: B
State: MN

Post by ccandy2023 »

dxu46 wrote:RIP, now we have to bring colored pencils/markers for the Map Drawing, and we can bring a box of materials. Also, we can't have calculators that are graphing or programmable.
wait are they saying we have to COLOR OUR MAPS NOW NOO istg my partner and me last year barely had any time to finish the tests and map drawing in almost every test...welp. also i'm competing and boyceville and i'm super stressed but anyway
Chippewa Science Olympiad
2016-2019
<3
Nationals 2018 at CSU

Return to “2019 Study Events”