Reverse and Curving

User avatar
JojoCho
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: January 17th, 2017, 5:27 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA

Reverse and Curving

Post by JojoCho » October 5th, 2018, 10:56 am

As everyone knows, this year mousetrap vehicle requires curving when the vehicle goes in reverse. While I have some possible ideas, I'm still quite unsure as to how to do this if the vehicle goes straight 8 meters first. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4195
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by Unome » October 5th, 2018, 11:45 am

JojoCho wrote:As everyone knows, this year mousetrap vehicle requires curving when the vehicle goes in reverse. While I have some possible ideas, I'm still quite unsure as to how to do this if the vehicle goes straight 8 meters first. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Curve both ways is probably the simplest method. Based on how dynamic steering went in EV I'm not expecting anyone to try to cut their time by going straight first.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
PM2017
Member
Member
Posts: 509
Joined: January 20th, 2017, 5:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: CA
Location: Asleep on my laptop at Kresge

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by PM2017 » October 6th, 2018, 11:57 am

Unome wrote:
JojoCho wrote:As everyone knows, this year mousetrap vehicle requires curving when the vehicle goes in reverse. While I have some possible ideas, I'm still quite unsure as to how to do this if the vehicle goes straight 8 meters first. If anyone has any tips or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Curve both ways is probably the simplest method. Based on how dynamic steering went in EV I'm not expecting anyone to try to cut their time by going straight first.
It also doesn't add much total distance to the run, because the turning radius is so large.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Pradyun
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: November 5th, 2018, 4:10 pm
Division: C
State: MD

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by Pradyun » November 5th, 2018, 4:15 pm

I've gotten movement forwards and backwards down as well as braking, but how would you be able to curve the Vehicle one way forwards and another way on its way back?

I was thinking initial vehicle/axle orientation... but with that the vehicle wouldn't curve a different way on its way back.

Am I missing something? Please help :)

User avatar
windu34
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1352
Joined: April 19th, 2015, 6:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by windu34 » November 5th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Pradyun wrote:I've gotten movement forwards and backwards down as well as braking, but how would you be able to curve the Vehicle one way forwards and another way on its way back?

I was thinking initial vehicle/axle orientation... but with that the vehicle wouldn't curve a different way on its way back.

Am I missing something? Please help :)
You dont need to curve a different way on the way back. You must have interpreted the layout of the track incorrectly. Fixed-axle steering with initial orientation should be sufficient (and is the best method IMO) to achieve high accuracy.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
Florida State Tournament Director 2020
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Member
kevin@floridascienceolympiad.org || windu34's Userpage

Circuit Lab Event Supervisor for 2020: UT Austin (B/C), MIT (C), Solon (C), Princeton (C), Golden Gate (C), Nationals (C)

Pradyun
Member
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: November 5th, 2018, 4:10 pm
Division: C
State: MD

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by Pradyun » November 6th, 2018, 6:04 am

Yup just realized :lol: ! Thanks for the clarification as well!

User avatar
Bazinga+
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 383
Joined: March 8th, 2014, 7:10 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HD

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by Bazinga+ » November 24th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
Innovation =/= success

terence.tan
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: September 17th, 2017, 10:40 am
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by terence.tan » December 10th, 2018, 4:47 pm

Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
how much does it weigh?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines

DarthBuilder
Member
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: August 1st, 2017, 8:02 am
Division: Grad
State: IL

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by DarthBuilder » December 11th, 2018, 6:51 am

terence.tan wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
how much does it weigh?
7.2 oz/200 grams i think
Deleted

User avatar
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 387
Joined: May 24th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Division: Grad
State: MA

Re: Reverse and Curving

Post by antoine_ego » December 12th, 2018, 3:42 am

DarthBuilder wrote:
terence.tan wrote:
Bazinga+ wrote:Here's a great plastic dial caliper with a lock screw I used for Scrambler steering. Highly recommend-
https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-278 ... ref=plSrch
how much does it weigh?
7.2 oz/200 grams i think
Two hundred grams is equal to the weight of my vehicle last year. I think using it on the vehicle itself would most certainly increase accuracy significantly. The question is whether hit to the time score is worth it.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

Locked

Return to “Mousetrap Vehicle C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests