The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them.

shri
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them.

Post by shri »

The rules manual says: "The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them." What does this mean? Since its in bold, I wanted to check exactly what this was referring to.
cbrant554
Division: C
State: IN

Re: The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them.

Post by cbrant554 »

shri wrote:The rules manual says: "The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them." What does this mean? Since its in bold, I wanted to check exactly what this was referring to.
So basically when you have a gap it cant be just skidding across multiple platforms there has to be atleast .5 cm of height between the end of the gap and the start of the new track
shri

Re: The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them.

Post by shri »

cbrant554 wrote:
shri wrote:The rules manual says: "The beginning and the end of each Gap must be at least 0.5 cm above the next surface(s) below them." What does this mean? Since its in bold, I wanted to check exactly what this was referring to.
So basically when you have a gap it cant be just skidding across multiple platforms there has to be atleast .5 cm of height between the end of the gap and the start of the new track
Hmm, not sure I get it. There is already a rule saying "There must be a minimum of 5.0 cm of unbroken track at the end of every gap." which would prevent skidding across multiple platforms, as far as I can tell. I am not understanding what the requirement if for whats below the tracks.
cbrant554

Post by cbrant554 »

shri wrote:
cbrant554 wrote:
Hmm, not sure I get it. There is already a rule saying "There must be a minimum of 5.0 cm of unbroken track at the end of every gap." which would prevent skidding across multiple platforms, as far as I can tell. I am not understanding what the requirement if for whats below the tracks.
They both prevent skidding and step like areas where you could get like 30 one cm gaps some thing like this https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1xQC ... sp=sharing It could be to prevent upward gaps.
shri

Post by shri »

Your drawing (nice drawing! - much easier to follow than words) is already covered by "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0 cm from the end of the track the ball/sphere leaves measured to the closest part of the track the ball/sphere lands on." The horizontal span in your drawing is 0 for each of three vertical gaps.

Is it ok to have support under the tracks like https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1qmf ... 3VTyQ/edit? Would that violate the rule? If so, how much away from the gap would those blue square supports have to be?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

shri wrote:Your drawing (nice drawing! - much easier to follow than words) is already covered by "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0 cm from the end of the track the ball/sphere leaves measured to the closest part of the track the ball/sphere lands on." The horizontal span in your drawing is 0 for each of three vertical gaps.

Is it ok to have support under the tracks like https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1qmf ... 3VTyQ/edit? Would that violate the rule? If so, how much away from the gap would those blue square supports have to be?
Those supports are fine. The intention of the 0.5cm rule is to prevent teams from having an easy failsafe if they miss the jump.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
builder83

Post by builder83 »

Unome wrote:
shri wrote:Your drawing (nice drawing! - much easier to follow than words) is already covered by "Gaps must have a horizontal span of at least 5.0 cm from the end of the track the ball/sphere leaves measured to the closest part of the track the ball/sphere lands on." The horizontal span in your drawing is 0 for each of three vertical gaps.

Those supports are fine. The intention of the 0.5cm rule is to prevent teams from having an easy failsafe if they miss the jump.
Agreed. Last year I had a large jump that landed at the base of my coaster. The landing track was only a couple of mm tall. They made me raise it enough that the ball couldn't land short and still make it (or roll onto) the final landing track. Basically, if the ball did not land on the designated landing track then it would have to fail. Luckily it still worked just fine!
cbrant554

Post by cbrant554 »

Unome wrote:

What about this? https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1sBp ... sp=sharing

Return to “Roller Coaster B”