Mission Possible C

DrDaveV
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by DrDaveV »

annabelle0308 wrote:Is there a minimum amount of time that the machine needs to run for? It says in section e of The Competition that the Target Operation Time is 60 seconds but can it be less time than that?
Reading through the scoring part of the rules.

2 points for each for second of operation up to the target time.
1 point penalty for each second over the target time.

So my interpretation is that if we ignore the timer:
Run time Time Score
20 s 40 points
50 s 100 points
60 s 120 points
70 s 120 points - 10 point penalty = 100 points
ET2020
Division: C
State: NY

Post by ET2020 »

Can you receive tasks for any actions if you don't have a start task? According to rule 3.c, "any action in the device designed not to contribute to the completion of the final action will not receive points." However, this presents a big problem for early invitationals where many people will not have completed the end task, leading to many similarly low scores. I understand you can't have parallel or dead end tasks, but what if you simply haven't built the end task at all yet?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

ET2020 wrote:Can you receive tasks for any actions if you don't have a start task? According to rule 3.c, "any action in the device designed not to contribute to the completion of the final action will not receive points." However, this presents a big problem for early invitationals where many people will not have completed the end task, leading to many similarly low scores. I understand you can't have parallel or dead end tasks, but what if you simply haven't built the end task at all yet?
If a device, by design, does not have an operable final action, then per 3.c. I believe you would get zero points from the preceding actions. If the device has a final action which fails to operate, then I believe you would still receive points for the preceding actions. In either scenario, I believe you could still earn points for an ASL, quick setup, etc. and lose points for the various penalties.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

When the rules state in 3.b., "The top and at least two vertical walls must be open or transparent for viewing all actions," does this mean that also shelves must be transparent? Does this also imply that a chamber for say, the balloon task, must have two transparent walls and a transparent top?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

antoine_ego wrote:When the rules state in 3.b., "The top and at least two vertical walls must be open or transparent for viewing all actions," does this mean that also shelves must be transparent? Does this also imply that a chamber for say, the balloon task, must have two transparent walls and a transparent top?
No, that only refers to the device overall. For chambers like the one for the balloon task, you just have to ensure that the reaction is somehow visible (to prove that you’re actually performing a reaction as opposed to say using a fan).
mpnobivucyxtz
State: NY

Post by mpnobivucyxtz »

servos use a PWM signal to connect to an Arduino typically. but since we can't use Arduinos this year, what can we do?
absolutezerok3
State: MI

Post by absolutezerok3 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:servos use a PWM signal to connect to an Arduino typically. but since we can't use Arduinos this year, what can we do?
I would just not use servos and replace them with motors with a direct connection to the power source
1|states MTV
[i]Disease Detectives[/i][b]| Mousetrap Vehicle |[/b][u] Circuit Lab [/u][b]| Mission Possible |[/b]Boomilever.
5 years and counting!!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

mpnobivucyxtz wrote:servos use a PWM signal to connect to an Arduino typically. but since we can't use Arduinos this year, what can we do?
You can remove the circuitry from the servo and provide power directly to the DC motor inside of the servo. It would essentially function as a continuous rotation servo.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
amyliu03

Post by amyliu03 »

How long does the timer have to run to gain extra points? Also, would it be considered a parallel action if the timer was a sand timer pouring into a bucket to slowly initiate a pulley system?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

amyliu03 wrote:How long does the timer have to run to gain extra points? Also, would it be considered a parallel action if the timer was a sand timer pouring into a bucket to slowly initiate a pulley system?
If it runs at least 30 seconds, you get the timer bonus. If I understand you correctly (i.e. the effort force on the pulley is some type of container being filled w/ sand until it has enough mass to cause the pulley to move.), then no, it is not a parallel action, because for one the mass is being added before the pulley is started, and two you would designate an action to be a clock. It doesn't matter if it's already a scoreable action.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!

Return to “Mission Possible C”