Dynamic Planet B/C

PikaPikaChu
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by PikaPikaChu »

Just had an invite where the DP test was more like a Geomaps test and there were stimulus questions. They had you read a passage and then answer questions based on the passage. :-|
PikaPikaChu's Userpage
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: Dynamic Planet (6)
ajjepp

Post by ajjepp »

Hi guys I'm in dynamic planet. I'm interested in glaciers and right now I'm working on the vocabulary. It's very important :)
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

So I am in this topic and need to learn it in about 2 months. How much information is there to cover? Where should I start on the Sci Oly page? What topic?
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

neerja.shah wrote:So I am in this topic and need to learn it in about 2 months. How much information is there to cover? Where should I start on the Sci Oly page? What topic?
SciOly wiki is here, but your best bet is to also go to the Wikipedia glaciers page here. Get as many terms as you can and begin taking tests to find out what you don't know. I personally wouldn't read a textbook, but it can give you a lot of general knowledge as well as fill in gaps in your notes.
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
Pastaman202
State: IL

Post by Pastaman202 »

Does anyone know what topic is mainly focused on this year? (Glacial landforms, topos, history, milankovitch cycles etc.)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Pastaman202 wrote:Does anyone know what topic is mainly focused on this year? (Glacial landforms, topos, history, milankovitch cycles etc.)
According to the rules, glaciers, glaciation, and long-term climate change
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Umaroth »

Pastaman202 wrote:Does anyone know what topic is mainly focused on this year? (Glacial landforms, topos, history, milankovitch cycles etc.)
All of that pretty much. Not a super broad topic, but you have to know your knowledge well to be successful. Something I have seen my students struggle with is identifying features based on topographic map images, since they aren't really familiar with them.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

l0lit wrote:
neerja.shah wrote:So I am in this topic and need to learn it in about 2 months. How much information is there to cover? Where should I start on the Sci Oly page? What topic?
SciOly wiki is here, but your best bet is to also go to the Wikipedia glaciers page here. Get as many terms as you can and begin taking tests to find out what you don't know. I personally wouldn't read a textbook, but it can give you a lot of general knowledge as well as fill in gaps in your notes.
Thank you but I have some more questions:

on the test, will there be only some vocab terms and what would I need to know in context with maps and things of such...
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

neerja.shah wrote:
l0lit wrote:

on the test, will there be only some vocab terms and what would I need to know in context with maps and things of such...
From the tests I've seen so far and the invitationals I've been to, I've only seen one topographic map. You will need to know all the vocab strongly, but maps aren't the most important thing. That said, there may be maps at some invitationals/regionals/states/nationals, so I'm sure a decent understanding would be helpful. Just don't make it your main focus.
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
neerja.shah

Post by neerja.shah »

SciolyHarsh wrote:
neerja.shah wrote:
l0lit wrote:

From the tests I've seen so far and the invitationals I've been to, I've only seen one topographic map. You will need to know all the vocab strongly, but maps aren't the most important thing. That said, there may be maps at some invitationals/regionals/states/nationals, so I'm sure a decent understanding would be helpful. Just don't make it your main focus.
Does that mean that if I study some Quizlet terms, it will be enough...about 100 terms?

Return to “2019 Study Events”