Sounds of Music C

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by TheSquaad »

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:The rule manual mentions "Basic terminology regarding sound, sound production, and related science terms". What does this mean, specifically? Anyone have resources for this section?
It means whatever the ES wants it to mean. My team is just scrolling through Wikipedia and documenting Giancoli Physics.
memeus
Division: C
State: KS
Been thanked: 0

Post by memeus »

So for the physics test portion of Sounds, can you give me some like subtopics for the first three bullets (General Principles of acoustics, basic terminology of sound, and the fundamental elementals of musical sound)? I am finding them a little vague so like some stuff that they would usually put on a test would help me so much.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

CaTaStRoPhY wrote:The rule manual mentions "Basic terminology regarding sound, sound production, and related science terms". What does this mean, specifically? Anyone have resources for this section?
This is very broad and has alot of room for interpretation by different supervisors. Alot of tests will have terminology and questions related to music theory in this section, such as "What does forte mean?", but obviously it can be much more complicated than that. "Related science terms" could talk about magnitude and frequency of pitches. So basically, this doesnt really mean anything specifically, its quite broad, which is the intention.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

The rules are kind of vague; they say "general principles" and "basic terminology," to what degree should we know this stuff? Also they won't ask for transverse waves as sound is longitudinal, correct?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:The rules are kind of vague; they say "general principles" and "basic terminology," to what degree should we know this stuff? Also they won't ask for transverse waves as sound is longitudinal, correct?
You won't get much help with what's going to be on the test, but you can probably bet that you don't have to study it if it's not related to sound.
AAH2020
State: GA

Post by AAH2020 »

Does anyone know of any better test exchanges or sample problems resources out there? The only thing I have so far in terms of need-to-know for the test are the basic definitions, like waves, acoustics, resonance, timbre, etc.
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by Riptide »

AAH2020 wrote:Does anyone know of any better test exchanges or sample problems resources out there? The only thing I have so far in terms of need-to-know for the test are the basic definitions, like waves, acoustics, resonance, timbre, etc.
Any introductory physics textbook should have a chapter or two on waves/sounds and corresponding practice problems that should cover a large portion of the required information.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
JojoCho

Post by JojoCho »

So the rules mention how your instrument must fit inside certain dimensions before setting up and how when setting up the device may expand or get bigger. However, there's nothing about if your instrument can separate into multiple pieces. If it still fits within the dimensions, should I be ok?
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page
terence.tan
State: NY

Post by terence.tan »

JojoCho wrote:So the rules mention how your instrument must fit inside certain dimensions before setting up and how when setting up the device may expand or get bigger. However, there's nothing about if your instrument can separate into multiple pieces. If it still fits within the dimensions, should I be ok?
yes as long as you are able to put the pieces back together in 2 minutes it is fine
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
JojoCho

Post by JojoCho »

terence.tan wrote:
JojoCho wrote:So the rules mention how your instrument must fit inside certain dimensions before setting up and how when setting up the device may expand or get bigger. However, there's nothing about if your instrument can separate into multiple pieces. If it still fits within the dimensions, should I be ok?
yes as long as you are able to put the pieces back together in 2 minutes it is fine
Oh sorry I should've explained a bit better. I meant is it ok that for the actual part where the proctor is recording my pitches is it ok if I have different pieces for each pitch and I don't keep them together. So technically for my set up I'm taking it apart. If you need me to elaborate more please let me know.
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2019
University of Georgia Class of 2023
User Page

Return to “2019 Lab Events”