Pastaman202
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Density Lab B

Post by Pastaman202 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
chalker wrote:
OrangeQuail9 wrote:Shouldn't Density Lab be a cheat sheet event? There are some formulas but not big complicated ones and it's mostly math so I don't really need that much information.
Different committees and rules chairs have different philosophies regarding notes. In my committee (Physics), the general philosophy is that we'll let you bring as many notes as you want. The logic behind this is many-fold, including:

1. It reduces the burden on the event supervisor, who doesn't have to check / police the event for extra notes
2. It makes it more likely that event supervisors don't re-use tests from year to year
3. It ensures we don't unfairly treat competitors with poor eyesight who might not be able to read the microprint some competitors put on their note sheets
4. It helps incentivize competitors to research a much broader topic area (and bring corresponding notes to the event)
To add to this, even though the committee sets the parameters for the limit of notes that competitors can bring, it is the competitor's ultimate decision to decide how many notes they want to bring to the event. If you feel like you really only need one sheet of info even though the event allows a binder, by all means, you can decide to only bring that one sheet, and the judges won't stop you from doing that. They'll only get on you if you exceed the limit, which you clearly wouldn't be doing.

Speaking as a former competitor, I can say that if you put in the right amount of preparation into the event beforehand, then there isn't really a need to go to absurdly small font sizes or margins to fit all you need to fit on there (for single sheets of notes, that is - different story for those 6-inch binders I've sometimes seen around). Even though I didn't really do physics events, I can say that for the events I competed in, I noticed how much in the latter years of my career that I was actually struggling to fill my cheat sheets with information rather than cramming it to the edges with information due to how well I felt I knew the material. And to some extent, that could actually be more helpful in the long run. During the competition, that's lessens the amount of time you spend scouring your notes for the information you may need but you either 1) don't necessarily know where it is within your notes or 2) might not even have it at all. That can free up more time you can spend on taking the test, which is arguably more important. It ultimately depends on how much you are certain you know like the back of your hand and how much you feel maybe a little or a lot more shaky about.

--

TL;DR: If you feel like you don't need an entire binder's worth of info, that's perfectly fine and possibly even more beneficial to you, and no one will stop you from bringing less. They'll only care if you bring more than you're allowed.
Last year when I was in hover, I literally just brought 1 sheet of paper with equations on it for all the competitions. Didn't even do that bad.
T.E.M.
Has thanked: 0

Post by T.E.M. »

Anybody have any websites for DL questions? :?: (tests would be preferred)
Galahad
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

T.E.M. wrote:Anybody have any websites for DL questions? :?: (tests would be preferred)
I'm pretty sure the Scioly Test Bank has a few DL tests, and you can find UT's Density Tests on their online test bank.

NASA provides some pretty good DL questions, here's an example of one of their articles: https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/WindT ... medes.html
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
Incineroar999
Division: B

Post by Incineroar999 »

Hello. I'm a newbie and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing! Please help!!
MattChina
State: NY

Post by MattChina »

Incineroar999 wrote:Hello. I'm a newbie and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing! Please help!!
D=m/v
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
Scioly2443

Practice tests

Post by Scioly2443 »

Does anybody have any practice test links they can give me? I cannot find any tests for this event.
MattChina
State: NY

Re: Practice tests

Post by MattChina »

Scioly2443 wrote:Does anybody have any practice test links they can give me? I cannot find any tests for this event.
Theres a couple on the test exchange.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Incineroar999 wrote:Hello. I'm a newbie and I have NO IDEA what I'm doing! Please help!!
I would recommending just looking up all the terms on the rules. All of them are bound to have been covered in great detail on the Internet.
Incineroar999

Post by Incineroar999 »

D=m/v
Lmao MattChina
Srama

Post by Srama »

If I want to follow Guideline 3.B which states that answer should be in metric and approximate significant figures, Can anyone tell me how would you express the final answer for Boyles law problem.

Also, Is the answer expected to be adjusted to scientific notation for full credits?

For Eg:A container holds 2L of helium. When the pressure is reduced to 2.5 atmospheres and the volume in the container increases to 12L, what was the initial pressure exerted on the container?

Return to “2019 Lab Events”