builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Elastic Launched Gliders B

Post by builderguy135 »

Nba2302 wrote:i am pretty angry that a team got their Glider stuck on the ceiling, and the proctors still counted the time. They got 24 seconds, and got first and i got second!
What invitational?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
waffletree
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by waffletree »

Nba2302 wrote:i am pretty angry that a team got their Glider stuck on the ceiling, and the proctors still counted the time. They got 24 seconds, and got first and i got second!
dang that sucks
so like it just hung onto the ceiling for a while then fell? and the proctors counted it!?
builder cult vp // #treegang
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

waffletree wrote:
dang that sucks
so like it just hung onto the ceiling for a while then fell? and the proctors counted it!?
That's odd.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
Hartman

Post by Hartman »

Wait...It got stuck...and came down...by itself? That's some insane luck, but I think that the rules say that if it's stopped before it hits the ground, like in a basketball hoop, the timer is stopped. Did you complain to the proctors?
Carbon Fiber and glue are all you need for flying events

My friend says build events are easy. Trying to prove him wrong.

Fill out my form: https://forms.gle/vMUhZausSwEquw5o6
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

CrayolaCrayon wrote:
waffletree wrote:
dang that sucks
That's odd.
I've personally only had one or two planes that managed to get down by itself... and they were wright stuffs with moving propellers lol.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
WMSSO2018-2019

Post by WMSSO2018-2019 »

I used one of the freedom flight model kits for my plane for the regional competitions. But i am running into the problem of when it gets up to the top ( or as high as it goes during that flight) it will go down about half the distance of the ceiling and to the floor and then it will start to do its circles. We have had some success with it. We have been getting a 14.2 time. We are happy with this score but we know that we can get a better time. We have tried pulling it back farther and closer. We have been also a justing the angle of the plane and its wings. The main question I am asking is how can i use the whole height of the the building i am launching in how do i get it to circle at the very top and slowly come down.
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

WMS,

Congratulations on building the excellent FF kit. If you can answer a few questions, I think I can help you.

1. What do your gliders weigh?
2. Do you have any shims between the stick that is the wing mount and the fuselage? If so, how thick are the shims and are they at the wing leading edge or trailing edge. The purpose of any shims would be to increase or decrease the wing incidence angle.
3. Measure the flap deflection(downward curve of the flaps) and let me know the measurement. Is the flap deflection even on both wings?
4. What is the location of the center of gravity on your airplanes (balance point; usually reported in inches or cm back from the wing leading edge.
5. Are there any warps or inaccuracies in the wing, stabilizer or fin?
6. Is the fuselage straight right to left?
7. What are your other current trim adjustments (measure and report)(ex. Stabilizer tilt, fin bent to the right, etc.).

Brian T
AMA since 1968 off and on; SO Coach since 2012
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

WMS:

Brian's input is critically valuable, he has helped us immensely with his insights.

Following a few of his points, on the flap deflection you want to check the static deflection (how much is each flap deflected downward when unloaded), and the flap stiffness (using a gram scale, how much force does it take at the trailing edge of the flap to move it to straight (take out the deflection).

What is the ceiling height you are shooting to?

What is the launch angle and tilt angle?

On your description of flight, how is the plane losing altitude? Is it stalling at the top of the climb, dropping the nose and then picking up a glide, or is it "zooming" around the corner (to the right), and comes down at to steep an angle for the first few fee or more? This could be showing a need to adjust the tit of the wing during launch. If stalling, tilt more (to the right). If zooming around the corner, tilt less. If it is too sensitive (small tilt change results in change from stall to zoom), try reducing the launch angle.

And answer Brian's questions, he will likely have further inputs.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
WMSSO2018-2019

Post by WMSSO2018-2019 »

I have built a freedom flight model airplane for this year's Regional airplane. I am having trouble though while flying it. It will go up to the top and then go about halfway down and then start doing it circles. How do I get my plane to start doing circles at the top of the building so that way I have more space and a longer flight time? We've tried pulling back the plane further and not so far . We also have tried tilting the wings to the right or to the left. We've had some success with a fight time of about 14.2. I have checked to make sure that each of the Wings weigh the same amount as well. We have put putty at the front a very small amount because it was stalling at first. But now it is fixed except for that it will go to the top of the ceiling go halfway down and then start doing circles.
bjt4888
State: MI

Post by bjt4888 »

WMS,

If you answer my questions and Coach Chucks questions very carefully, we can help you.

I can pretty much tell you that your glider is “hooking” at the top of the climb, but if you answer the questions, we can tell you why it is hooking and what to do to fix. Glider is a more complex event than Wright Stuff and very specific attention to details, alignment, stiffness of components, etc. is what Coach Chuck and I are ready to help you with.

Brian T

Return to “Elastic Launched Gliders B”