fabishkf
Division: Grad
State: WI
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by fabishkf »

same clade as crocodiles
madison west '21 hamilton '17
top 5 favorite events: rocks and minerals, fossils, geomapping, microbe mission, herpetology
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

fabishkf wrote:same clade as crocodiles
Reptiles don't include birds though: rather, a reptile is an amniote that is neither a mammal or a bird. This is because reptiles aren't actually a single clade.
fabishkf
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by fabishkf »

Actually, birds are just not traditionally studied with reptiles because superficially they seem different. Phylogenetically, they are part of the clade Reptilia, which isn't a clade if you don't include birds. So even though they aren't studied together traditionally they are in the same monophyletic group (your definition of reptiles is correct in how they're usually studied however).
madison west '21 hamilton '17
top 5 favorite events: rocks and minerals, fossils, geomapping, microbe mission, herpetology
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

fabishkf wrote:Actually, birds are just not traditionally studied with reptiles because superficially they seem different. Phylogenetically, they are part of the clade Reptilia, which isn't a clade if you don't include birds. So even though they aren't studied together traditionally they are in the same monophyletic group (your definition of reptiles is correct in how they're usually studied however).
It is true that birds are part of the same clade as reptiles, but Reptilia is not a clade: it is a class. The clade that includes reptiles and birds is generally (read: as far as I know) called Sauropsida. Either way, it doesn't make sense for a bird to be on the Herpetology List because hereptologists don't study birds.
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
fabishkf wrote:Actually, birds are just not traditionally studied with reptiles because superficially they seem different. Phylogenetically, they are part of the clade Reptilia, which isn't a clade if you don't include birds. So even though they aren't studied together traditionally they are in the same monophyletic group (your definition of reptiles is correct in how they're usually studied however).
It is true that birds are part of the same clade as reptiles, but Reptilia is not a clade: it is a class. The clade that includes reptiles and birds is generally (read: as far as I know) called Sauropsida. Either way, it doesn't make sense for a bird to be on the Herpetology List because herpetologists don't study birds.
Also, Ornithology is literally an event so why would there be birds in any other event.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

kate! wrote:
It is true that birds are part of the same clade as reptiles, but Reptilia is not a clade: it is a class. The clade that includes reptiles and birds is generally (read: as far as I know) called Sauropsida. Either way, it doesn't make sense for a bird to be on the Herpetology List because herpetologists don't study birds.
Also, Ornithology is literally an event so why would there be birds in any other event.
Yeah, I hope that event supervisor didn't actually use that tiebreaker question...
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

kate! wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: It is true that birds are part of the same clade as reptiles, but Reptilia is not a clade: it is a class. The clade that includes reptiles and birds is generally (read: as far as I know) called Sauropsida. Either way, it doesn't make sense for a bird to be on the Herpetology List because herpetologists don't study birds.
Yeah, I hope that event supervisor didn't actually use that tiebreaker question...
The Question was a whole separate question from the others and was labeled tiebreaker. The person who wrote the test wasn't a "Official test writer" they just volunteered and had done ecology before. Luckily it was only an invite
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

cbrant554 wrote:
kate! wrote: Also, Ornithology is literally an event so why would there be birds in any other event.
The Question was a whole separate question from the others and was labeled tiebreaker. The person who wrote the test wasn't a "Official test writer" they just volunteered and had done ecology before. Luckily it was only an invite
Haha, props to the test writer for volunteering!
anthony
Has thanked: 0

Post by anthony »

:D :( :x :lol: :shock: :? :geek: 8-) :!:
Are we allowed to use a published field guide in the herpetology event? If so, what's the best one?
emmalasagna
State: CT
Has thanked: 0

Post by emmalasagna »

anthony wrote: Are we allowed to use a published field guide in the herpetology event? If so, what's the best one?
As of the new rules for this year, only a student-made binder is allowed for competitions. Field guides can still be useful for gathering information and studying, though (Peterson's field guides are usually recommended), but aren't allowed in competitions.
bedford ms '19, staples hs '23
ornithology, fossils, designer genes, expd

please bring back herp like actually please

Return to “2019 Study Events”