Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: End Task

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

windu34 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
bearasauras wrote:
I'm trying to find that, do you know which rule states that it would be placed in a lower tier?
Last year it did, but this year the rules do not state that tiering is a consequence of not following construction parameters as far as I can tell. Instead I think you would just get 0 points for all of your actions
This is by no means official nor does it represent the opinion of any of the organizations that I represent. That said:
I am not so sure these interpretations are correct. 3.c. is stating that "Any action in the device not designed to contribute to the completion of the Final Action will not count for points". I would argue that as long as the team intends to complete the Final Action as shown by the ASL, then they would earn points for all the tasks even if the final task didn't work for some reason. However, if they didnt even "attempt" the final task in their device, then I can see how the argument could be made to not award any points for any of the preceding tasks.
That's what I was trying to say. If there is no action that attempts the final action then all other actions receive zero points. If a team attempts but fails then they would.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
antigem
Division: C
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by antigem »

Is there anything in a snap circuits kit that would help? I was looking at a kit with a motor, but it was to power a fan and I don't think that it would have enough power to lift a scissor lift
Central Valley High School, WA

2019 events and place at regionals:
Boomilever 4th
Write it Do it 2nd
Mission Possible 2nd
Thermodynamics 2nd
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

antigem wrote:Is there anything in a snap circuits kit that would help? I was looking at a kit with a motor, but it was to power a fan and I don't think that it would have enough power to lift a scissor lift
it could definitely power it if the scissor lift was light and relatively smooth on the joints.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
MgEHS22

Post by MgEHS22 »

When it says before it becomes the highest point of the device, does that include a pulley that pulls the platform up?
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

MgEHS22 wrote:When it says before it becomes the highest point of the device, does that include a pulley that pulls the platform up?
Yes, it does. An easy solution is to have a superstructure under the platform, that has a point at which the string attaches. this point could be below the the pulley, while the attached platform itself is above.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
erico.vert
State: MD

Post by erico.vert »

PM2017 wrote:
MgEHS22 wrote:When it says before it becomes the highest point of the device, does that include a pulley that pulls the platform up?
Yes, it does. An easy solution is to have a superstructure under the platform, that has a point at which the string attaches. this point could be below the the pulley, while the attached platform itself is above.
This is exactly what I did for one of my competitions but be careful as to how fast the platform is lifted. If it goes too fast, the battery will be launched off of the platform.
bradley310

Post by bradley310 »

Is it okay to put a hole through the square platform. I am trying to lift it with a motor that has a screw shaft, and in order for it to lift the platform I may need to put a hole into the middle of the platform. The device I am using can be found here.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric- ... 5-1885.axd
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

bradley310 wrote:Is it okay to put a hole through the square platform. I am trying to lift it with a motor that has a screw shaft, and in order for it to lift the platform I may need to put a hole into the middle of the platform. The device I am using can be found here.
I’d say no. By definition a platform with a hole is not a smooth uniform surface.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

TheSquaad wrote:
bradley310 wrote:Is it okay to put a hole through the square platform. I am trying to lift it with a motor that has a screw shaft, and in order for it to lift the platform I may need to put a hole into the middle of the platform. The device I am using can be found here.
I’d say no. By definition a platform with a hole is not a smooth uniform surface.
A way you could get around drilling a hole through it is to make a small platform that has a hole, and then just add another platform on the side.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Vortexx
State: IN

Post by Vortexx »

I'm not sure if this would even fit the requirements for the final task. It is 24V (when we get 9V) and it only has a travel distance of 7" (about 17.78 cm) when we need 20 cm.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code

Return to “Mission Possible C”