Boomilever B/C

parikhy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by parikhy »

Any feedback on our boomilever wood sizes?. We're thinking to use 1/8 for the main members and then 3/32 for the bracing. Will it be sturdy enough? We're using a compression boomilever.

If not, what wood should we buy? We are only using balsa right now but we could buy bass wood if it would help.

In division C, by the way.
Last edited by parikhy on January 13th, 2019, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

MadCow2357 wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:If you guys thought 3 minutes of sand loading is bad today at UChicago was 15 minutes for full load!
Rip stick-holders' knees.
Yes, big oof... Question: why didn't the Event Supervisors stop the teams from continuing to load?
Oh, the stick-holder wasn't nearly in as much pain as the person pushing down on the bootleg lever to release the sand at a rate of 1kg per minute...
Also sucked for our cameraman as he had to get a good angle to get us a 52 min slow-mo video after recording for 10 minutes straight. :lol:
Oh, also my boom held 10kg so my hands are still sore from holding down that lever for 10 minutes straight... :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

parikhy wrote:Any feedback on our boomilever wood sizes?. We're thinking to use 1/8 for the main members and then 3/32 for the bracing. Will it be sturdy enough? We're using a compression boomilever.

If not, what wood should we buy? We are only using balsa right now but we could buy bass wood if it would help.

It all depends on bracing, but in normal cases 1/8 square is definitely not enough. At least 1/4" by 1/8" is needed for the main compression beams. I wouldn't go over 1/16" square for bracing.
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

MadCow2357 wrote:
parikhy wrote:Any feedback on our boomilever wood sizes?. We're thinking to use 1/8 for the main members and then 3/32 for the bracing. Will it be sturdy enough? We're using a compression boomilever.

It all depends on bracing, but in normal cases 1/8 square is definitely not enough. At least 1/4" by 1/8" is needed for the main compression beams. I wouldn't go over 1/16" square for bracing.
Depends on design. If you are only using 2 main compression sticks, 1/8" is not enough. However for box designs (4 sticks), it is sufficient.
TheChiScientist

Is there a rule against a Boomilever being tiered due to it being over 45cm?????? I received a tier for this yet as I review the construction parameters there is no such rule! Only Section 3 Subsection C states "The Boomilever must support the Loading Assembly (5.b.) at the loading point which must be between 40 cm and 45 cm from the testing wall (4.Part II.e.ii.)." but my Boomilever was in compliance with this rule! :evil: Am I missing something!! Please help! :cry:
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Vstorm34
State: VA

Post by Vstorm34 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Is there a rule against a Boomilever being tiered due to it being over 45cm?????? I received a tier for this yet as I review the construction parameters there is no such rule! Only Section 3 Subsection C states "The Boomilever must support the Loading Assembly (5.b.) at the loading point which must be between 40 cm and 45 cm from the testing wall (4.Part II.e.ii.)." but my Boomilever was in compliance with this rule! :evil: Am I missing something!! Please help! :cry:
As far as I am aware there is no such rule that prohibits that.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Is there a rule against a Boomilever being tiered due to it being over 45cm?????? I received a tier for this yet as I review the construction parameters there is no such rule! Only Section 3 Subsection C states "The Boomilever must support the Loading Assembly (5.b.) at the loading point which must be between 40 cm and 45 cm from the testing wall (4.Part II.e.ii.)." but my Boomilever was in compliance with this rule! :evil: Am I missing something!! Please help! :cry:
If it's over 45cm, then its not betwen 40 and 45, so yes, you can get tiered.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
TheChiScientist

sciolyperson1 wrote:
If it's over 45cm, then its not betwen 40 and 45, so yes, you can get tiered.
My construction was set up so that my boom was 46cm long but I placed my cross wood where the loading block would rest at exactly 40cm-45cm! It's not made with the traditional wood placement at exactly the end of the boomilever. Thus a tier should not occur! Correct??
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

No such rule, what in the world happened?
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
Carrot
State: OH

Post by Carrot »

Pretty sure that as long as the center of the loading block is within 40 to 45cm you should be good. If your boomi goes over 45cm but has the center of loading block within the range, you should not get tiered.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”