Boomilever B/C

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by TheChiScientist »

MadCow2357 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Is there a rule against a Boomilever being tiered due to it being over 45cm?????? I received a tier for this yet as I review the construction parameters there is no such rule! Only Section 3 Subsection C states "The Boomilever must support the Loading Assembly (5.b.) at the loading point which must be between 40 cm and 45 cm from the testing wall (4.Part II.e.ii.)." but my Boomilever was in compliance with this rule! :evil: Am I missing something!! Please help! :cry:
No such rule, what in the world happened?
Carrot wrote:Pretty sure that as long as the center of the loading block is within 40 to 45cm you should be good. If your boomi goes over 45cm but has the center of loading block within the range, you should not get tiered.
Upon further investigation and review by me, my partner, and other people that compete in Boomilever we have determined that UChicago has misinterpreted Section 3 Subsection C of the Boomilever rules and prematurely declared my Boomilever tiered! Furthermore, the UChicago ES failed to notify me that my Boomilever was within a "construction violation", thus I was unable to arbitrate and correct their improper tier... There WILL be an arbitration as multiple injustices were made to the competitors (me and my partner) and no opportunity was given for clarification or arbitration. :evil: :evil: :evil: This is not cool...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

TheChiScientist wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Is there a rule against a Boomilever being tiered due to it being over 45cm?????? I received a tier for this yet as I review the construction parameters there is no such rule! Only Section 3 Subsection C states "The Boomilever must support the Loading Assembly (5.b.) at the loading point which must be between 40 cm and 45 cm from the testing wall (4.Part II.e.ii.)." but my Boomilever was in compliance with this rule! :evil: Am I missing something!! Please help! :cry:
Carrot wrote:Pretty sure that as long as the center of the loading block is within 40 to 45cm you should be good. If your boomi goes over 45cm but has the center of loading block within the range, you should not get tiered.
Upon further investigation and review by me, my partner, and other people that compete in Boomilever we have determined that UChicago has misinterpreted Section 3 Subsection C of the Boomilever rules and prematurely declared my Boomilever tiered! Furthermore, the UChicago ES failed to notify me that my Boomilever was within a "construction violation", thus I was unable to arbitrate and correct their improper tier... There WILL be an arbitration as multiple injustices were made to the competitors (me and my partner) and no opportunity was given for clarification or arbitration. :evil: :evil: :evil: This is not cool...
Chances of an arbitration post-competition are near-zero. This is something that you would have needed to identify and appeal during your device testing - refer to rule 4.j.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
TheChiScientist

Unome wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: No such rule, what in the world happened?
Chances of an arbitration post-competition are near-zero. This is something that you would have needed to identify and appeal during your device testing - refer to rule 4.j.
At the least, we are notifying UChicago of their error seeing how they are hosting a Div B. invitational and they need to correct it. Even if they don't process the arbitration...
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
Unome wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: Upon further investigation and review by me, my partner, and other people that compete in Boomilever we have determined that UChicago has misinterpreted Section 3 Subsection C of the Boomilever rules and prematurely declared my Boomilever tiered! Furthermore, the UChicago ES failed to notify me that my Boomilever was within a "construction violation", thus I was unable to arbitrate and correct their improper tier... There WILL be an arbitration as multiple injustices were made to the competitors (me and my partner) and no opportunity was given for clarification or arbitration. :evil: :evil: :evil: This is not cool...
At the least, we are notifying UChicago of their error seeing how they are hosting a Div B. invitational and they need to correct it. Even if they don't process the arbitration...
Not to downplay your disappointment (I know it sucks when an ES makes a mistake), but you need to chill out. Remember that these proctors are doing this for us competitors, and not for themselves. If they make a mistake, I know it's infuriating, but as someone who has made tests to run events, I also know that while ESes (usually) try their hardest, mistakes happen.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
TheChiScientist

PM2017 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
Unome wrote: Chances of an arbitration post-competition are near-zero. This is something that you would have needed to identify and appeal during your device testing - refer to rule 4.j.
Not to downplay your disappointment (I know it sucks when an ES makes a mistake), but you need to chill out. Remember that these proctors are doing this for us competitors, and not for themselves. If they make a mistake, I know it's infuriating, but as someone who has made tests to run events, I also know that while ESes (usually) try their hardest, mistakes happen.
My main issue is that UChicago is notorious for following the rules to the dot. Which is what happened last year and no errors came from it. Yet while I understand mistakes can be made this one had so many oversights on my run. Other teams with similar circumstances did not run into these errors and in the end, I was the only one affected by this issue... Nevertheless, I just don't want anyone else to be affected by this oversight as it tanked me over 20 places.
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciencecat42 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: At the least, we are notifying UChicago of their error seeing how they are hosting a Div B. invitational and they need to correct it. Even if they don't process the arbitration...
My main issue is that UChicago is notorious for following the rules to the dot. Which is what happened last year and no errors came from it. Yet while I understand mistakes can be made this one had so many oversights on my run. Other teams with similar circumstances did not run into these errors and in the end, I was the only one affected by this issue... Nevertheless, I just don't want anyone else to be affected by this oversight as it tanked me over 20 places.
It seems like UChicago wasn't as well run this year or they were trying something different as their boomilever loading system was completely different from the rules as well. Even if they did want to test how boomilevers would take load over an extended period of time, they should've considered how long it would take to test each boomilever.

However, I don't really see the point in making your boomilever longer than 45cm. Wouldn't that just add weight and mechanical disadvantage?
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

sciencecat42 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
PM2017 wrote: Not to downplay your disappointment (I know it sucks when an ES makes a mistake), but you need to chill out. Remember that these proctors are doing this for us competitors, and not for themselves. If they make a mistake, I know it's infuriating, but as someone who has made tests to run events, I also know that while ESes (usually) try their hardest, mistakes happen.
It seems like UChicago wasn't as well run this year or they were trying something different as their boomilever loading system was completely different from the rules as well. Even if they did want to test how boomilevers would take load over an extended period of time, they should've considered how long it would take to test each boomilever.

However, I don't really see the point in making your boomilever longer than 45cm. Wouldn't that just add weight and mechanical disadvantage?
To add, boomilever ended at the time it was supposed to since they were ahead of schedule.
Deleted
TheChiScientist

sciencecat42 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
PM2017 wrote: Not to downplay your disappointment (I know it sucks when an ES makes a mistake), but you need to chill out. Remember that these proctors are doing this for us competitors, and not for themselves. If they make a mistake, I know it's infuriating, but as someone who has made tests to run events, I also know that while ESes (usually) try their hardest, mistakes happen.

My technique is special and weight gain is minimal to insignificant but they improperly measured where the chain goes and that's where the issue was.
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

a number of kids at the Div B Centerville competition had the bolt out at 42.5 CM from the testing wall, having misread the rules. They must have thought that the inside edge of the block was to be 40 CM. This, of course is incorrect. It should be dimensioned from the wall to the CENTERLINE of the bolt to be at least 40 CM, and no more than 45 CM (although I have no idea why there is a maximum)

Also, FWIW, many, many Div B teams were way above the 20 CM drop line. Many as high or higher than Div C (at 15 CM). Still scratching my head on that one! Maybe thinking that by going shorter, they save weight? No clue!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
waffletree
Division: C
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

TheChiScientist wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote:
oof rip
builder cult vp // #treegang

Return to “Boomilever B/C”