Florida 2019

demir
State: FL

Re: Florida 2019

Post by demir »

Killboe wrote:OSS Invite Results (dont have rule sheet right now but have Top 4)

1. OSS Team A (64)
2. OSS Team B (idk)
3. River City A (128)
4. Galaxy Middle A (idk)

Good job to everybody at the invitational! OSS is looking very, very strong this year.

Not gonna lie that Solar System test at the invite was REALLY messed up. It had almost nothing that were in the rules, all from previous years...
Edit: Here are the official scores:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K_8_L ... wOuRKl0Msm
RCSA scores are suspected to be slightly messed up. Apparently, some students are great at their events but not so much at writing down correct team numbers. It will take some time to fix it and I am not in a rush.

As for Solar System, it is part of the learning curve. When you pull teeth to bring teams to invitational, you don't get to be pushy about them submitting copies of their tests early. It was messed up and removed from overall team scores. I will send all participating schools a better Solar System test to practice as an apology, even though we did not have much control over the situation. At least, we were able to save Heredity :)
Last edited by demir on December 18th, 2018, 10:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

demir wrote:
Killboe wrote:OSS Invite Results (dont have rule sheet right now but have Top 4)

1. OSS Team A (64)
2. OSS Team B (idk)
3. River City A (128)
4. Galaxy Middle A (idk)

Good job to everybody at the invitational! OSS is looking very, very strong this year.

Not gonna lie that Solar System test at the invite was REALLY messed up. It had almost nothing that were in the rules, all from previous years...
Here are the unofficial scores:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RotvI ... V8hN2ov7KG
RCSA scores are suspected to be slightly messed up. Apparently, some students are great at their events but not so much at writing down correct team numbers. It will take some time to fix it and I am not in a rush.

As for Solar System, it is part of the learning curve. When you pull teeth to bring teams to invitational, you don't get to be pushy about them submitting copies of their tests early. It was messed up and removed from overall team scores. I will send all participating schools a better Solar System test to practice as an apology, even though we did not have much control over the situation. At least, we were able to save Heredity :)

Yeah... Some of the kids on our team(s) couldn't really wrap their head around their team number. We got 26th in fossils when we should've got 4th.

(edit) Also do you know when the detailed score breakdown will come out?
demir

Post by demir »

Killboe wrote:
demir wrote:

1. OSS Team A (64)
2. OSS Team B (idk)
3. River City A (128)
4. Galaxy Middle A (idk)

Here are the unofficial scores:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RotvI ... V8hN2ov7KG

Yeah... Some of the kids on our team(s) couldn't really wrap their head around their team number. We got 26th in fossils when we should've got 4th.

(edit) Also do you know when the detailed score breakdown will come out?

Team number issues are corrected on our end, and official scores including raw scores are sent to coaches.
BocaBuilder18
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BocaBuilder18 »

Congratulations to Boca Team 1 for placing 2nd overall at MIT! It should be noted that Boca High improved 19 places from last year's ranking from 21st to 2nd, a 329 point improvement :o

Here's a link to the full results:
https://app.avogadro.ws/invitational/mit-c/
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

Now that we have MIT results:

Florida State Tournament Predicitions - Div C
1.) Boca Raton Community High School - After an absolutely stellar performance at MIT, I feel very comfortable with this ranking. It is obvious that have improved drastically and this very well may be the best team Boca has ever seen. I am very excited to follow their performance throughout the rest of the season.
2.) Archimedean Upper Conservatory - Certainly had very strong performances in a few events. I dont think Archimedean got any weaker than last year - they might have even gotten better; I think Boca just got way stronger.
3.) Cardinal Gibbons - Not quite as certain how this will play out. I think they are a very strong team and its possible that they will beat Archimedean for 2nd. I think the FAU regionals will be helpful in gauging where everyone stands.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
demir

Post by demir »

BocaBuilder18 wrote:Congratulations to Boca Team 1 for placing 2nd overall at MIT! It should be noted that Boca High improved 19 places from last year's ranking from 21st to 2nd, a 329 point improvement :o

I guess this dispels any silly notion about Boca's competitiveness. Congratulations, your performance is very impressive. If you qualify to nationals, and you should, a Top 5 place is quite likely.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

demir wrote:
BocaBuilder18 wrote:Congratulations to Boca Team 1 for placing 2nd overall at MIT! It should be noted that Boca High improved 19 places from last year's ranking from 21st to 2nd, a 329 point improvement :o

I guess this dispels any silly notion about Boca's competitiveness. Congratulations, your performance is very impressive. If you qualify to nationals, and you should, a Top 5 place is quite likely.
Remember that this year at MIT a lot of teams didn't go, like Troy, Mason, Solon, etc. Getting 2nd at MIT is quite a feat, but it doesn't correlate directly to nationals placing.
demir

Post by demir »

dxu46 wrote:
demir wrote:

Remember that this year at MIT a lot of teams didn't go, like Troy, Mason, Solon, etc. Getting 2nd at MIT is quite a feat, but it doesn't correlate directly to nationals placing.
Thus, I said likely. Remember, they got second in Northview too. Ohio teams were there.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C

Post by JonB »

demir wrote:

Thank you for the comment. The team is going to take every competition one step at a time. The only "for sure" is that if Boca High qualifies for Nationals, they will work as hard as possible to do as well as possible. However, this is true for many, or all, of the teams that qualify for nationals. There is still a long season ahead of the team with many competitions to go.

Thanks again though for the comment!
demir

Post by demir »

JonB wrote:
demir wrote:

Thank you for the comment. The team is going to take every competition one step at a time. The only "for sure" is that if Boca High qualifies for Nationals, they will work as hard as possible to do as well as possible. However, this is true for many, or all, of the teams that qualify for nationals. There is still a long season ahead of the team with many competitions to go.

Thanks again though for the comment!
You are welcome. And, yes we all take things one step at a time. But, I am excited. I want Florida to be more nationally relevant, and it is great to see that you are leading the pack in the right direction. I want our kids to believe they can do this, they can be competitive at the national level. My team needs a role model / accomplished rival in Florida. Don't get me wrong, we will do our best to beat Boca and the rest at State, but we will also cheer for whoever qualifies to National to do their best.

Return to “2019 Regionals & States”