Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

waffletree wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
MadCow2357 wrote: No such rule, what in the world happened?
Carrot wrote:Pretty sure that as long as the center of the loading block is within 40 to 45cm you should be good. If your boomi goes over 45cm but has the center of loading block within the range, you should not get tiered.
Upon further investigation and review by me, my partner, and other people that compete in Boomilever we have determined that UChicago has misinterpreted Section 3 Subsection C of the Boomilever rules and prematurely declared my Boomilever tiered! Furthermore, the UChicago ES failed to notify me that my Boomilever was within a "construction violation", thus I was unable to arbitrate and correct their improper tier... There WILL be an arbitration as multiple injustices were made to the competitors (me and my partner) and no opportunity was given for clarification or arbitration. :evil: :evil: :evil: This is not cool...
oof rip
Rule 4.II.j: "Teams who wish to file an appeal must leave their Boomilever with the event supervisor."

I'm sorry, but you really can't change much at this point.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by TheChiScientist »

sciolyperson1 wrote:
waffletree wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: Upon further investigation and review by me, my partner, and other people that compete in Boomilever we have determined that UChicago has misinterpreted Section 3 Subsection C of the Boomilever rules and prematurely declared my Boomilever tiered! Furthermore, the UChicago ES failed to notify me that my Boomilever was within a "construction violation", thus I was unable to arbitrate and correct their improper tier... There WILL be an arbitration as multiple injustices were made to the competitors (me and my partner) and no opportunity was given for clarification or arbitration. :evil: :evil: :evil: This is not cool...
oof rip
Rule 4.II.j: "Teams who wish to file an appeal must leave their Boomilever with the event supervisor."

Not really but we can have the Boomilever scores thrown out and at least they won't make the same mistake on some poor Div B. kid this weekend at their Div B. invitational... :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
FermiGod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FermiGod »

TheChiScientist wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
waffletree wrote: oof rip

Not really but we can have the Boomilever scores thrown out and at least they won't make the same mistake on some poor Div B. kid this weekend at their Div B. invitational... :(
in all honesty its pretty disappointing how you only care about your score and your placement based on a simple mistake the ES did. Just work on and improve your design for your next invite or competition. Don't stick your gut with something that happened 2 days ago.They put a lot of work into this invite and I wouldn't be that mad but just take it easy and chill.
TheChiScientist

FermiGod wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:

in all honesty its pretty disappointing how you only care about your score and your placement based on a simple mistake the ES did. Just work on and improve your design for your next invite or competition. Don't stick your gut with something that happened 2 days ago.They put a lot of work into this invite and I wouldn't be that mad but just take it easy and chill.
I just want them to be more attentive as they have a reputation to preserve and I don't want them to be known for making simple mistakes. UChicago is a marvelous invitational with a good reputation but if they don't correct simple errors then they become major errors and then teams stop going. I never stated I cared about just my score... Do note I'm concerned for other teams suffering a similar error and it's in my interest that these type of mistakes be corrected for the good of everyone, not just me. I already know I did incredibly well but I also know that this a mistake that UChicago can correct for future invitationals but I suspect they aren't aware that they made said mistake so I'm just making sure they correct it in the future. :(
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
DarthBuilder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarthBuilder »

TheChiScientist wrote:
FermiGod wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: Not really but we can have the Boomilever scores thrown out and at least they won't make the same mistake on some poor Div B. kid this weekend at their Div B. invitational... :(
I just want them to be more attentive as they have a reputation to preserve and I don't want them to be known for making simple mistakes. UChicago is a marvelous invitational with a good reputation but if they don't correct simple errors then they become major errors and then teams stop going. I never stated I cared about just my score... Do note I'm concerned for other teams suffering a similar error and it's in my interest that these type of mistakes be corrected for the good of everyone, not just me. I already know I did incredibly well but I also know that this a mistake that UChicago can correct for future invitationals but I suspect they aren't aware that they made said mistake so I'm just making sure they correct it in the future. :(
Just email the directors then.
Deleted
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

FermiGod wrote: in all honesty its pretty disappointing how you only care about your score and your placement based on a simple mistake the ES did.
Actually, it's a combination of two mistakes.

Mistake 1: ES decided that TheChiScientist's boom was too long based on a misinterpretation of the rules.

Mistakes happen, ES aren't always as well prepared as we'd like, and don't always know the rules as well as some of the competitors. That's why the really bad mistake is mistake 2:

Mistake 2: ES didn't tell TheChiScientist that they were getting tiered, so there wasn't an opportunity for TheChiScientist to address this with the ES. To my mind, this is a much bigger mistake than the rules misunderstanding in mistake 1.

TheChiScientist's disappointing result required the ES to make both mistakes.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:
waffletree wrote: oof rip

That doesn't happen 2 days after competition. Unless there was a really really huge mistake, like misgrading something totally wrong, they won't throw out all the boomi scores.
Think about it like this. All these teams build boomis for competition, yet because they misread one small rule (which doesn't affect many people), they throw the whole event out, including everyones hard work..
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
TheChiScientist

knightmoves wrote:
FermiGod wrote: in all honesty its pretty disappointing how you only care about your score and your placement based on a simple mistake the ES did.
Actually, it's a combination of two mistakes.

Mistake 1: ES decided that TheChiScientist's boom was too long based on a misinterpretation of the rules.

Mistakes happen, ES aren't always as well prepared as we'd like, and don't always know the rules as well as some of the competitors. That's why the really bad mistake is mistake 2:

Mistake 2: ES didn't tell TheChiScientist that they were getting tiered, so there wasn't an opportunity for TheChiScientist to address this with the ES. To my mind, this is a much bigger mistake than the rules misunderstanding in mistake 1.

TheChiScientist's disappointing result required the ES to make both mistakes.
There we go! That's the biggest mistakes that were made! Anyways I'm not really too concerned as I will be making contact with UChicago so they can correct these mistakes in time for their Div B Invitational. :D
Last edited by TheChiScientist on January 14th, 2019, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

dholdgreve wrote:a number of kids at the Div B Centerville competition had the bolt out at 42.5 CM from the testing wall, having misread the rules. They must have thought that the inside edge of the block was to be 40 CM. This, of course is incorrect. It should be dimensioned from the wall to the CENTERLINE of the bolt to be at least 40 CM, and no more than 45 CM (although I have no idea why there is a maximum)
Practicality. If there's no maximum, someone will show up with a device that puts the chain/bucket in the middle of one of the legs of the table or something. With a defined maximum, you know what the table has to support.
TheChiScientist

sciolyperson1 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
sciolyperson1 wrote:

That doesn't happen 2 days after competition. Unless there was a really really huge mistake, like misgrading something totally wrong, they won't throw out all the boomi scores.
Think about it like this. All these teams build boomis for competition, yet because they misread one small rule (which doesn't affect many people), they throw the whole event out, including everyones hard work..
I decided to mention the throwing out of the results because a similar result occurred a few days after Palatine when the ES's had a similar error occur due to an oversight in Boomilever with one specific team. Evidence here. Note how scores were thrown out? Just saying that could occur.

Return to “Boomilever B/C”