Wright Stuff C

klastyioer
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Wright Stuff C

Post by klastyioer »

Rossyspsce wrote:Just to clarify, the only bonus this year is one panel being colored black right?
no the three minute preflight is a 5% bonus as well i believe
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
klastyioer
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

Polar wrote:Klasty,

I am not aware of any local facilities that contain a ceiling that matches Mellencamp's height. Though I do believe Mellencamp is open the day before the state competition for anyone who wants to arrive at state a day early and test fly.
yea i mean nothing will match that height but either practice with a larger facility to sorta get close to a better time or get there early and test fly
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

klastyioer wrote:anyone use the 20:1 winder from the ama glider kit? i would only have it as a backup, since its super cheap and i wouldn't need anything else from the kit besides the winder. im thinking it might be kinda not good since its like 9 bucks, but i dunno. so has anyone used it before?
It seems to be similar to the one sold from Freedom and other kits companies, but I wouldn't be able to tell the quality without feeling/holding and seeing how it holds up overtime. There's a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzs0QtA3no of it
jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Post by jander14indoor »

cheesecake wrote:
coachchuckaahs wrote:The times will be strongly influenced by ceiling height, so if reporting times report that as well.

Why would you consider touches as "cheating"? in a girdered facility, or with hanging lights, touches may result in a stuck plane. IN a smooth ceiling, if the room is large enough for potential redirection after a touch, why not touch? A no-touch is a thing of beauty, but in low ceiling (20') with smooth ceiling, it may be a necessity.

Coach Chuck

I agree about planes grazing on smooth ceiling with no redirection is definitely okay. But I've seen kids deliberately launching at high torque in ceilings with girders and other obstructions, hoping the plane would not get stuck and the'd get a better time. Many of them end up stuck.
That's strategy, not cheating. I've often suggested teams put up a good, but slightly conservative first flight to get a solid time down. Then, if comfortable, go for it. Wind to bash around some. If you get stuck, you already have a good time. If not, you have the opportunity for a great time.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Another site to search for (common in Michigan) with nice smooth, high ceilings is golf domes. The local free flight club Cloudbusters Model Airplane Club flies weekly during the winter in one.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Jeff:

That was strategy last year at Nationals. Multiple fixtures hanging down about 10' below the girders. Bottom of lights at 25'. I saw many teams put on a good first flight (we had one touch), and then crank it above the lights for second flight. Unfortunately, plenty of lights, each with two pole supporting. I did not see any successfully navigate the poles, though plenty got above the lights. Worth a shot, though! I do not recall any getting stuck either, just knocked down.

Coach Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
cheesecake
Been thanked: 0

Post by cheesecake »

Jeff,

That's a good suggestion. Conservative first and then go for it! I guess that's what most will do.
OpticsNerd
State: WI

Post by OpticsNerd »

More spam posts on this forum. Why does Wright Stuff C get targetted all the time?
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

OpticsNerd wrote:More spam posts on this forum. Why does Wright Stuff C get targetted all the time?
Would it be possible if the admins made another "Wright Stuff C" forum and transfer all the posts there?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
AlbatrossTree
Been thanked: 0

Post by AlbatrossTree »

So I know that increasing motor stick length allows for longer rubber, more winds, and theoretically a longer time. If I was able to build long enough to double my motor stick length--with reinforcements--how much would that increase my time if the ceiling height stays the same? I believe our school gym is ~23' to the lowest obstacles.

Return to “Wright Stuff C”