The Cost of Science Olympiad

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
sciencecat42
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Cost of Science Olympiad

Post by sciencecat42 »

How much does your team spend on Science Olympiad per year? This could include transportation, registration, etc. but I'm mainly talking about the cost of supplies. Study events are usually free (besides the few cents it costs to print), but how much does your team spend on building events?
TheCowboyandhisArk
Division: C
State: MI

Re: The Cost of Science Olympiad

Post by TheCowboyandhisArk »

Probably way too much.
Science Olympian From Grand Haven Since 2015
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c1g ... MojTg/edit
2020 Events (R/S/N)
Astronomy:
Dynamic
Fossils
Geologic
Ping Pong Para
Sounds of music
Wright stuff
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY

Post by MattChina »

sciencecat42 wrote:How much does your team spend on Science Olympiad per year? This could include transportation, registration, etc. but I'm mainly talking about the cost of supplies. Study events are usually free (besides the few cents it costs to print), but how much does your team spend on building events?
On transportation and stuff?. A lot, because buses and hotels cost a lot. On build events its up to the person individually most of the time.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
masterWIZ
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by masterWIZ »

sciencecat42 wrote:How much does your team spend on Science Olympiad per year? This could include transportation, registration, etc. but I'm mainly talking about the cost of supplies. Study events are usually free (besides the few cents it costs to print), but how much does your team spend on building events?
For balsa events, I know that if you get it from Specialized Balsa and choose specific densities, it can easily be a few hundred dollars for each large wood order.

For Wright Stuff, it is $64 per kit from Freedom Flight. You will probably be getting multiple kits.

For other build events, supplies can add up to a few more hundred dollars.
Mr. Builder :) :)
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Our team alone pays about $2,000 total in just the activity fee which really only covers 20% off our costs. I'd say our grand total comes out too about ehh... $10,000-16,000. :o Good thing our district offers decent funding for STEM clubs...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

In our school, build costs are up to the event members. Man, I wonder why we do so bad in builds.
sciencecat42

Post by sciencecat42 »

JoeyC wrote:In our school, build costs are up to the event members. Man, I wonder why we do so bad in builds.
I feel ya. Our school only gives us $50 per event (for both teams so it's split between 4 people) and the rest is out of pocket. So basically if we want to do well we have to cough up more money out of our own pockets.
waffletree
State: PA

Post by waffletree »

sciencecat42 wrote:
JoeyC wrote:In our school, build costs are up to the event members. Man, I wonder why we do so bad in builds.
I feel ya. Our school only gives us $50 per event (for both teams so it's split between 4 people) and the rest is out of pocket. So basically if we want to do well we have to cough up more money out of our own pockets.
for us, we have to pay for our first set of materials (so like i spent $50 on battery buggy) and once you show that you have potential, you can get reimbursed for any other materials, up to a reasonable price, of course.
builder cult vp // #treegang
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

I can attest that the flying events are expensive if you're very involved in them.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
MoMoney$$$;)0)
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by MoMoney$$$;)0) »

Everything is pretty expensive, I would pretty much guess that a team that goes to states up to 7,000-8,000 dollars; but a team for national can go 15 grand per team and higher.
Division C - Northeast Ohio
Gravity Vehicle
Machines
Detector Building
Circuit Lab
Protein Modeling

2019-2020 Medal Count: 5 :cry:
"Don't be upset by the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do'
Memberships: Builder Cult

Return to “General Competition”