Mission Possible C

engineerandgolfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible C

Post by engineerandgolfer »

Hello all,

This is my first year on Mission, and I am in over my head with the Infrared task. What I am looking to do is have the golf ball from the start task land in a cup that would apply pressure on and close a switch, allowing current to flow to the IR transmitter. The receiver would detect the IR and this would allow current to flow through a relay to a motor with an attached blade that would carry out action 11 (fishing line task).

Is what I am describing possible with these components:

https://www.alliedelec.com/optek-tt-ele ... gLpyPD_BwE

A lot of examples of IR circuits that I found online were super complicated and/or required Arduinos, which aren't allowed this year.

I could really use some guidance with this. Thank you for your help.
jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

You may need a resistor like 200ohm for IR LED to limit the current.

You may need a transistor or even a comparator and a transistor for IR receiver to drive the relay.

Jinhu
amyliu03

Post by amyliu03 »

For the final action, if the platform raises above the machine with the freestanding battery and then the battery falls off would that still count or does the battery have to remain on the platform after it raises above?
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

amyliu03 wrote:For the final action, if the platform raises above the machine with the freestanding battery and then the battery falls off would that still count or does the battery have to remain on the platform after it raises above?
Your mission ends when the platform stops above the device. This means that the battery must be on the platform when it stops.
amyliu03

Post by amyliu03 »

2 questions:
1) For the final action, if a magnet were to be placed under the platform which helps keep the battery upright on top of the platform, would that count? Or would that be considered “not freestanding” or “attached to the device”?
2) If we use a touch on a scorable action, will that action still be counted for points?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

amyliu03 wrote:2 questions:
1) For the final action, if a magnet were to be placed under the platform which helps keep the battery upright on top of the platform, would that count? Or would that be considered “not freestanding” or “attached to the device”?
2) If we use a touch on a scorable action, will that action still be counted for points?
1. Read the FAQs from 10/15/18
2. Read rule 4.i
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
unknownuser2
Division: C

Post by unknownuser2 »

Hey all, might be a stupid question, but for the actions which we can use electricity for, do we need to find a way to turn them off afterwards, so as not to be penalized for the more than 10 seconds electrical timer if it remains running (even if not still doing the task)? I remember something like this being discussed last year. And if so, how would one do that if we can't use programmable circuits with timers?
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

unknownuser2 wrote:Hey all, might be a stupid question, but for the actions which we can use electricity for, do we need to find a way to turn them off afterwards, so as not to be penalized for the more than 10 seconds electrical timer if it remains running (even if not still doing the task)? I remember something like this being discussed last year. And if so, how would one do that if we can't use programmable circuits with timers?
This was answered more satisfactorily in the FAQs last year. However, the consensus is that as long as the electrical action triggers the next action before 10 seconds have elapsed, you won't incur any penalty as the first action will have completed. You are certainly welcome to turn off electronic components after their completion per the FAQ on 10/5/18.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
tbraford02

Post by tbraford02 »

I have a few questions:
1) can we use a motor to lift the final action platform?
2) if so, can we put it above the box?
3) if 2) is true, will it count towards the height limit?
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

tbraford02 wrote:I have a few questions:
1) can we use a motor to lift the final action platform?
2) if so, can we put it above the box?
3) if 2) is true, will it count towards the height limit?
1) Yes, electricity is legal in the final action.
2) When the platform stops moving, it must be above all other sections of the device. This includes the motor.
3) You can put a motor at the top of your device, but that will make it the highest point and thus count towards measurements.

Return to “Mission Possible C”