Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by CookiePie1 »

voisinet22 wrote:
freed2003 wrote:Does anyone know if for the competition they use the in-browser Jmol or the program?
In the past they have used the in-browser Jmol.
From the CBM website, it seems that the Jmol program is a last-resort for people who can't use the internet at their competitions. I think it would be a good idea to get farmiliar with both, in case you do have to use the program. They're both pretty simple and similar though, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
eagerlearner102
Been thanked: 0

Post by eagerlearner102 »

For those that did this event in the past, do you have any idea of how many nucleotides long is the on build model? I am researching the 5f9r protein that is going to be the on build protein and on ebi.ac.uk I found some side chain to be around 30 nucleotides long.
https://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe/entry/pdb/5f9r/analysis
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

eagerlearner102 wrote:For those that did this event in the past, do you have any idea of how many nucleotides long is the on build model? I am researching the 5f9r protein that is going to be the on build protein and on ebi.ac.uk I found some side chain to be around 30 nucleotides long.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the onsite builds are protein chains within the regular CRISPR protein. You won't have to model any DNA. You're also not supposed to know which chains you are building onsite, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

-Albert Einstein
primitivepolonium
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by primitivepolonium »

eagerlearner102 wrote:For those that did this event in the past, do you have any idea of how many nucleotides long is the on build model? I am researching the 5f9r protein that is going to be the on build protein and on ebi.ac.uk I found some side chain to be around 30 nucleotides long.
The onsite build will be different for every competition. You'll show up to testing, be presented with a precut toober and some amino acids, and have to build it on the spot with the help of jmol, a ruler, and a sharpie (the latter two you should bring). It'll all be protein; no DNA (although DNA is certainly within the scope of the written exam if it's an important strand).

As for length: competitions testing at the Regionals and Invitational difficulties will have onsites of ~20-30 residues. By Nationals, onsite lengths will reach up to 90. States, I surmise, will have a length in between.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
greenMountainCoffee

Post by greenMountainCoffee »

meierfra wrote:
greenMountainCoffee wrote:
Limke wrote:
Yes.

I measured mine out to be 85 residues.
Okay, yes (sorry this is taking so long to marinate in my brain) but the toober is only 168 cm long in the kit. 168/2 = 84....? So we must not include the actual residue of either 1 or 85 correct?
You absolutely need to include 1 and 85. Make sure the Toober is completely unwound. Sometimes if if's twisted a little, that will take up some length. Pull it all the way out, so you're sure it's at its maximum length. If it's still only 168cm, you should contact the MSOE people and ask for a replacement.

EDIT: Oops. They are sending you 168 cm and CBM gives a good explanation of why they only give you 168 cm on their Ask the CBM, question 52. https://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/participant2.php
Gotcha thanks!
'JordanC22

Post by 'JordanC22 »

How should I go about labeling my protein? I am totally new to this event. Any insight would be much appreciated.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

'JordanC22 wrote:How should I go about labeling my protein? I am totally new to this event. Any insight would be much appreciated.
What do you mean by labeling your protein?

-Albert Einstein
highbuilder
State: MI

Post by highbuilder »

what should be on my cheat sheet. I was thinking of maybe putting jmol commands, as well as information regarding the written test, any advice on what I should put on my cheat sheet?
highbuilder

Post by highbuilder »

CookiePie1 wrote:
'JordanC22 wrote:How should I go about labeling my protein? I am totally new to this event. Any insight would be much appreciated.
What do you mean by labeling your protein?
I think they mean how to label/differentiate add-ons such as sidechains, DNA, molecules, etc.
highbuilder

Post by highbuilder »

can anyone send me a picture of their pre-model, or recommend which add-ons to add. If not, can you at least direct me to a source or guide me to where I can learn more about which add-ons are important. I was put into this event just 4 days before my comp, so I really need help :D. Thanks!

Return to “2019 Lab Events”