End Task

TheSquaad
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: End Task

Post by TheSquaad »

Vortexx wrote:
bradley310 wrote:Is it okay to put a hole through the square platform. I am trying to lift it with a motor that has a screw shaft, and in order for it to lift the platform I may need to put a hole into the middle of the platform. The device I am using can be found here.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric- ... 5-1885.axd
I'm not sure if this would even fit the requirements for the final task. It is 24V (when we get 9V) and it only has a travel distance of 7" (about 17.78 cm) when we need 20 cm.
If you ask me, ditch the screw shaft idea.
Attaching the platform to a motorized winch is far simpler.
tbraford02
Been thanked: 0

Post by tbraford02 »

What could work as an end action for a 59.7x59.3x47 cm box? I've looked online at homemade scissor lifts made with popsicle sticks and it seems that there would be 1) no way to lift it manually and 2) it would break under pressure.
erico.vert
Division: C
State: MD

Post by erico.vert »

TheSquaad wrote:
Vortexx wrote:
bradley310 wrote:Is it okay to put a hole through the square platform. I am trying to lift it with a motor that has a screw shaft, and in order for it to lift the platform I may need to put a hole into the middle of the platform. The device I am using can be found here.
I'm not sure if this would even fit the requirements for the final task. It is 24V (when we get 9V) and it only has a travel distance of 7" (about 17.78 cm) when we need 20 cm.
If you ask me, ditch the screw shaft idea.
Attaching the platform to a motorized winch is far simpler.
I agree with Vortexx. A 9v power supply wouldn't be able to drive this motor and even if it could it doesn't have enough displacement from the start point. As for the screw shaft idea in general, it takes a little bit of finagling but I got mine to work very consistently on a 6v motor. It isn't that complicated, but definitely takes some thinking.
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

tbraford02 wrote:What could work as an end action for a 59.7x59.3x47 cm box? I've looked online at homemade scissor lifts made with popsicle sticks and it seems that there would be 1) no way to lift it manually and 2) it would break under pressure.
First off, your device is huge. I’d seriously consider cutting it down before moving further.

Second, look at the sample ASL. The example final task is extremely simple and smart.
kaushald21
State: NC

Post by kaushald21 »

How are you guys accomplishing the end task?
jinhusong
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

scissors lift (with actuator) or slide up with pulley (geared motor)
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

TheSquaad wrote:
I’d say no. By definition a platform with a hole is not a smooth uniform surface.
It doesn't say "uniform" in the rules. It just says
a single surface that is hard, non-tacky, and smooth with no lip on any of its edges
A single surface with a hole in it is still a single surface, IMO.
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

Flavorflav wrote:
TheSquaad wrote:
I’d say no. By definition a platform with a hole is not a smooth uniform surface.
It doesn't say "uniform" in the rules. It just says
a single surface that is hard, non-tacky, and smooth with no lip on any of its edges
A single surface with a hole in it is still a single surface, IMO.
In my interpretation, smooth means that there are no deviations in the texture of the surface across the entire area of the square. A hole doesn’t exactly have the same texture as any material.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

I think they said "smooth" so you couldn't cover it in sandpaper to reduce the likelihood of the battery tipping over, but I can see your argument. I suppose we'll have to see what SOINC says if they answer the question I just put. Of course, they haven't answered any of my other questions, so I won't hold my breath. I will say that a hole in the square was not a problem at the two invitationals we attended.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

Flavorflav wrote:I think they said "smooth" so you couldn't cover it in sandpaper to reduce the likelihood of the battery tipping over, but I can see your argument. I suppose we'll have to see what SOINC says if they answer the question I just put. Of course, they haven't answered any of my other questions, so I won't hold my breath. I will say that a hole in the square was not a problem at the two invitationals we attended.
My concern would be whether a "perfectly square" platform with a hole is still a perfect square. If I ask you to diagram a perfect square, I doubt there would be a circle in the middle somewhere.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Mission Possible C”