Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Kyanite »

AwersomeUser wrote:
JasperKota wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi everyone I have not started studying for this event. ( :shock: ) The competition for me is on February 9th. Is there any good tips how I can cramp in as much information I need? Thanks in advance. I really need it.
Well... it is a binder event so you don't need to cram it all into your head, but you have over 100 species (check your state's website for the species list) to take notes on and put into your binder. I suggest getting identification pages down so you can at least earn those points. Good luck... (and please for future reference do not leave a binder event until the last two weeks to start on, it's a terrible idea and never goes well).

I figured that. :(

How many pages can a 3 inch binder hold and also how many pages do you recommend for to create for each fossil? Thanks.
In the past anywhere from 1/2 - 2 page(s) front and back is typical for information on specimens, but its all up to you on whether or not you condense information or leave it in its larger entirety or if you are even trying to make the binder smaller so information is easy to find.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Kyanite wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
JasperKota wrote:
Well... it is a binder event so you don't need to cram it all into your head, but you have over 100 species (check your state's website for the species list) to take notes on and put into your binder. I suggest getting identification pages down so you can at least earn those points. Good luck... (and please for future reference do not leave a binder event until the last two weeks to start on, it's a terrible idea and never goes well).

I figured that. :(

How many pages can a 3 inch binder hold and also how many pages do you recommend for to create for each fossil? Thanks.
In the past anywhere from 1/2 - 2 page(s) front and back is typical for information on specimens, but its all up to you on whether or not you condense information or leave it in its larger entirety or if you are even trying to make the binder smaller so information is easy to find.
I have like five specimens per page... would not recommend copying me
Bread
State: IN

Post by Bread »

I had a question regarding the molars of mesohippus. It has 12 molars on each on each half of the jaw meaning that it would have 24 total... right? I took a test that said it had only 12. Is the key wrong or am I missing something?
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

Bread wrote:I had a question regarding the molars of mesohippus. It has 12 molars on each on each half of the jaw meaning that it would have 24 total... right? I took a test that said it had only 12. Is the key wrong or am I missing something?
http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/equus/evolution.html says 6 per side, 12 total molars.
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
Bread

Post by Bread »

hmmm wrote:
Bread wrote:I had a question regarding the molars of mesohippus. It has 12 molars on each on each half of the jaw meaning that it would have 24 total... right? I took a test that said it had only 12. Is the key wrong or am I missing something?
http://www.equestrianandhorse.com/equus/evolution.html says 6 per side, 12 total molars.
So then what are the other teeth? There are clearly more than 12 teeth in the jaw (aside from the incisors).
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats

Reg/State/Nats

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rip maybe next year
Kyanite

Post by Kyanite »

Bread wrote:
hmmm wrote:
So then what are the other teeth? There are clearly more than 12 teeth in the jaw (aside from the incisors).
I believe the other teeth you are mentioning would be premolars.
Bread

Post by Bread »

Kyanite wrote:I believe the other teeth you are mentioning would be premolars.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats

Reg/State/Nats

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rip maybe next year
AwersomeUser
Division: B

Post by AwersomeUser »

Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)
I like a comfortable 18 point font, 1.5 spaced, but that's just me.
Kyanite

Post by Kyanite »

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi again! What font and font size would you recommend me using? (I guess it doesn’t really matter since there is no way that I am going to have time to find out and copy and paste all the stuff but still...)
I used 12 pt with Times New Roman but its all personal preference.

Return to “2019 Study Events”